Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Slipperyviper

Slipperyviper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:59 AM

I just set up my computer, its a Dell with a Samsung monitor. I turned the computer on and everything is analog. The screen looks like its from the 80s. I went on the internet and everything is analog. I just bought this monitor 2 yrs ago. How do I change to digital. Im using wi-if but that shouldnt matter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:46 AM

Please give us some information to go on...

What Dell? Since this is in the Vista forum, I assume it's an older model? Was it working previously with a different monitor?

What model of Samsung monitor?

What do you mean by analog? If you're using a VGA connection to the monitor, it is analog. To be digital you'd need to be using DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort.

What do you mean by from the 80s? If you mean it's low resolution, what screen resolution is it set to?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Slipperyviper

Slipperyviper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for replying its a dell optiplex 755 it runs on windows vista. Im using a Samsung s27c750 monitor. The screen looks all analog. The icons , videos , letters. Etc I know the difference between analog and digital. I feel like Im watching a vhs cassette on an old tv

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

What do you mean when you say you just set it up? Did you do a new install? It sounds as though you need to install the graphics driver.

Go to Device Manager. Are there any yellow or red symbols?

Go to the website of the manufacturer of your display adapter. Download the correct driver for your card and install it.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:16 AM

If you're referring to the monitor saying Analog Input, that just means it's the VGA input not the HDMI input. Analog doesn't look any different on screen to Digital.

As Allan says, if you're getting only a low resolution on the screen, the correct video driver may not be installed. You should be able to have the system scanned and the correct driver(s) installed here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/audhs1/products/?app=drivers

That is assuming the system is using the onboard video - if it has a video card fitted (non-factory), it will need to be identified and the appropriate driver installed, as Allan says.

An indication of whether the lack of suitable video driver is causing the issue, is whether the correct resolution for the monitor, 1920 x 1080, can be set.

Edited by Platypus, 10 April 2018 - 10:22 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users