Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Virus Vtusstq.dll

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whaledude

whaledude

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

Firstly I hope I am in the proper forum.

My Norton antivirus detected and quarantined a virus called Download that was located in Windows\System\vtusstq.dll.

A Google search and a search in this forum for "vtusstq.dll" did not find any information, so my question is; is this a new virus? Is there any info on this virus on how to ensure my system is clean or what I should do to completely clean my system?

I am running Windows 98SE

Thanks in advance for your help.

Whaledude

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

Could be a new one or an old one that uses random file names. You can always scan it here:

www.virustotal.com

That site should tell you specifically what virus it is.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,561 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

Using all my search databases I cannot find anything on it either so its probably a new type of malware which fortunately was found by Norton. Hard to tell exactly what since this appears to have a randomly generated name and there is no opportunity to examine the actual file closer.

To ensure you are clean, download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users
alternate site
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe to install and use the default settings for installation.
  • Run SUPERAntiSypware and update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates".
  • When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
  • There are three scanning options available. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
  • When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Place a checkmark next to items you wish to remove/quarantine and Click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • Select close to exit the program.
Then perform at least two of these online Virus scans:
Trend Micro Housecall <- Use "Autoclean" and manually delete what it can't clean.
Panda ActiveScan <- Accept default settings. (does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms.)
BitDefender Online Virus and Malware Scan <- Add a check by "Autoclean".
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner. <- "Cure" whatever is found, manually delete what it can't cure.
Be sure to read the eTrust Antivirus Scanner Help Guide before scanning.

For more free scanning tools like Ad-aware and Spybot that you can use, see BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:56 PM

Looks like a possible Vundo variant perhaps?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,561 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

Could be. I have not used Norton products in a while and forgot they have a procedure to submit a file that has been quarantined with no charge for the service.

whaledude please read the instructions here on "How to submit a file to Symantec Security Response using Scan and Deliver" and if you don't mind, post the results after Symantec responds so we all can benefit from the information they provide.

Edited by quietman7, 06 October 2006 - 01:13 PM.

#6 whaledude

whaledude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

Quietman7

OK I will submit the file to Symantic Security Response but as I will be on vacation for the next 3 weeks it will be a little while before I will be able to get back to you,

Thanks for the help

Whaledude

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,561 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:24 AM

That should give Symantec ample time to analize the file and respond back to you. Have a safe vacation.

#8 whaledude

whaledude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:43 AM

Quietman7,

I have tried several times but I am not able to submit the file to Symantic Security Response. After following the instructions on how to submit my system completes all of the steps but at the very end I get the following message: "The file package has not been delivered to SARC". Is there any other way to get this virus file analysed? Where do we go from here?

I downloaded and scanned with "SUPERAntiSpyware" as you suggested and it found and fixed a couple of other virus reminents that were left over from previous infections.

Sorry for the delay in responding...its been hectic since I returned from vacation.

Whaledude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users