Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC powers on, does a two beep POST, and then powers off after a few seconds.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rainghost

rainghost

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

Hi! First time posting.

My PC is an Acer Predator G3-605 purchased in 2014. i7-4770 CPU, 8GB of RAM, GeForce GTX 1070, 500w PSU, two SSDs, running Windows 10.

My problems began a month ago when my PC started restarting during gaming. Most, if not all of the crashes/restarts happened during or immediately after some kind of loading, like when loading a saved game in Final Fantasy XV or teleporting to a different zone in WoW. Then about a week ago my secondary SSD stopped getting detected by my system and I started getting an error after the crash/restarts telling me I had no proper boot device. I could eventually get the PC to boot up by turning it off and on a few times.

I did some looking around and sought help on a few forums. I ran several programs that checked the health of my primary SSD. Since they all came back showing it was very healthy, I figured maybe the issue was the SATA ports or cables, like a couple of people had suggested to me. I moved my SSD's SATA cable to a different SATA port and that's when the real trouble started. After that my PC stopped booting entirely, even after I returned my SSD to its original SATA port.

When I hit the power button, I get the Acer splash screen and two POST beeps, and the fans inside my machine - PSU, CPU, GPU - all spin up fine. But then everything goes dark a few seconds later. I can't get into the BIOS menu either, the machine shuts down before it can load up.

I've tried every possible combination of components in my machine - I only have one 8GB stick of RAM, but I've tried it in all four slots and no dice. I've tried to boot with my GPU, hard drive, and USB keyboard and mouse disconnected as well as with only one or two of them connected at a time - the computer still just beeps twice and turns off.

The only way I can get the computer to turn and stay on is to remove the RAM entirely. Then it will remain powered on for as long as I leave it on, though of course it won't boot into anything.

According to what I've read, two short beeps from an AMI bios means a memory parity error. However, I've also been told that POST beeps aren't very useful anymore for diagnostic purposes. I also don't really know what a memory parity error means, besides being a RAM error - I don't know what to do to fix it. The root cause of the error might not even be RAM related at all, apparently. So I'm stumped.

I suppose it's time to start buying replacement parts, only I don't know where to start, so I thought I'd ask here. Money isn't flowing freely for me right now, so I can't just buy a bunch of stuff all at once. Should I buy new RAM, a new PSU? Should I take apart my CPU and check the thermal paste or something? I've never done that before and I'd be kind of nervous about it.

A little guidance would go a long way. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

If your using two sticks of ram, try just one in each ram slot on the board, if that does not go then try the same thing using the other stick of ram and see if it can post

#3 rainghost

rainghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

If your using two sticks of ram, try just one in each ram slot on the board, if that does not go then try the same thing using the other stick of ram and see if it can post

Unfortunately, as I wrote in my original post, I only have a single 8GB stick of RAM. :(

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:45 AM

May be a problem with your power supply unit (PSU)

#5 rainghost

rainghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

May be a problem with your power supply unit (PSU)

I'm aware!

#6 rainghost

rainghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

Problem persists.

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:27 AM

According to this service manual, A two beep code points to a damaged cmos, a cmos check sum error or cmos battery. You can replace these batteries fairly cheaply, under $5. (number 2032 coin cell battery) If your still having issues then a bios flash might help. Attempting to flash your bios with a bad cmos battery might brick your motherboard, get the battery first

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/370411/Acer-Predator-G3620.html?page=94

Edited by Joe C, 13 April 2018 - 06:37 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

@ Joe C

The information you posted pertains to a Predator G3-620, the OP's computer is a Predator G3-605.  Two short beeps is a RAM problem.

Attached File  acer beep code.PNG   68.58KB   0 downloads

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users