Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring paid itunes music to other devices

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Donald3030

Donald3030

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

Hello all,

I understand that all apple products are proprietary and only function within the IOS platform but, is it possible to transfer paid downloads (music) from you apple iTunes account to another non apple device or you PC. My curiosity stems from the recent purchase of a non apple MP3 player that I'd like to transfer music on but, am not interested in purchasing the same tracks again. If this question has been asked, i apologize in advance.

Thank you 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RossTeagan

RossTeagan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:26 AM

I am not sure you are allowed to do this. Apple might restrict moving certain files. 

However, you can try copying your mp3 file inside your iPhone to a Storage app like Dropbox or Google Drive. And later try to access the webclient of the app and download the mp3 on your pc.

Tech Assistant at UnlockUnit

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hello Donald3030,

There are two ways to get music from Apple, and here’s the scoop about DRM copy-protected songs.

1) Apple Music, where you join and pay for a (subscription) membership. The songs you access/ listen to with this subscription are Fairplay DRM protected, as you do not “own” the music.

2) iTunes music that you purchase from the iTunes Store, you outright own. This music is not DRM protected. Which means that you are able to transfer your purchased iTunes library to other devices.

Purchased iTunes song(s) have a default audio format AAC, thus you need to convert these iTunes songs to an audio MP3 format to play on compatible MP3 devices (players.) **

** Not all MP3 players will play your iTunes music which is converted MP3 songs. In my opinion, either you dive into your MP3 player’s specifications for that information, or you take the time to create a test model and give it a try.

If you do not know if your iTunes playlist songs are an AAC audio format, this is how I find out: open iTunes -> have your Library showing -> click on View tab -> click on Show Viewer Options -> Sort by window opens -> scroll down to File and tick the Kind box -> close window -> you'll see what songs have the AAC audio format which you can to MP3.

To convert, select the songs you want to convert. Open iTunes -> select song(s) you want to convert -> click on File tab -> click on Convert -> click on Create MP3 version. You will see the converted version underneath the original audio format (my audio format shows a MPEG)

Before you attempt to transfer your entire iTunes (converted MP3 playlist) to your MP3 player, I would start with one song as a test. (I.e. if it were me) (I would also create a new iTunes playlist and name it “test” to keep track of your test songs.)

Give this a try and let us know your progress!

Self edit: corrected spelling

Edited by softeyes, 12 April 2018 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users