Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm getting pxe-e61 media test failure, check cable and no clue what to do

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darlene M

Darlene M

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

I have an acer aspire E5-511P and while it was on, it started beeping then it rebooted on its own and came up with a screen what said no bootable device.  I started it up again and hit F2 and I can get in there but no clue what to do. I tried a few things that I saw online but they did not work. I can't even remember what I tried so can't explain it. But I get a screen that says "pxe-361 media test failure, check cable." This is the only forum I've ever been able to get help from. I know nothing about any of this but I'm determined and can do what you ask if explained like you are talking to a 5 year old. I'm sick right now over this.

Edited by Darlene M, 09 April 2018 - 05:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005740/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html

I would replace the CMOS/RTC battery.

Typically, when this battery starts to weaken...the above error may appear, system may display error messages about various hardware components, system clock and date/time data may become flaky.

Louis

#3 Darlene M

Darlene M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

I'd have to order one. Was hoping there was something I could do tonight. Is there a way I can tell if it's really the battery?  I hate to buy one if that's not the problem.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

The most common type of CMOS battery used is the CR2032. You appear to live in the Americas and if one costs you more than $US1 or local equivalent you are being robbed !

The biggest problem you may have is getting to it since this is a laptop. Well designed ones have this battery placed under a hatch on the bottom of the laptop, badly designed ones require a full tear down. Only the manual will tell you. You can download the manual here -

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Acer-Aspire-E5-511-5886785.html

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Darlene M

Darlene M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:55 PM

Is there a way to check stuff if I hit F2 or something?  Is there a way to know if it's my hard drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users