Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services.msc Services?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AtomicBucket

AtomicBucket

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

Ever since my computer got some spy-ware all my services were disabled. I got rid of all the spy-ware thanks to you guys, but my services are still done for!

My internet doesn't work unless I run random services that I have no clue what they do.

Can someone tell me the essential services to run so I can get my computer running well again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:10 AM

Here's a list of Services, with some recommendations.
Just click on the Service to get an explaination as to what it does.
Black Viper's Services Configuration at MajorGeeks.com
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 AtomicBucket

AtomicBucket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

Thanks :thumbsup: You were a huge help! It's all fixed now XD!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

You're welcome, AtomicBucket.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 SpiritWind

SpiritWind

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

Hi "Atomic" :

Be very careful IF you have followed Black Viper's "Safe" category recommendation for
"Background Intellent Transfer Service" of "Disable", since the info from the "Services" Guide
of Tweakhound found at : http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks6.htm
says this canNOT be "disabled" and use Windows Update !? Also if you use "Fast User Switching
Compatibility", then the "Terminal Services" should NOT be disabled. And by personal experience,
I found Black Viper's "SAFE" recommendation of "Disable" for "System Restore Service" prevented
my registry cleaner from running.

There are some "recommmended" settings by Tweakhound that seem "suspect", so best to view the
info from both "Guides" to determine which ones "fit" your particular computer .

Edited by SpiritWind, 06 October 2006 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users