Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird wire

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Motionsicknessman

Motionsicknessman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

So i opened up my HP Compaq 6005 pro small form factor PC, and i found this wire with one end not plugged into anything, it has the label P4 on it, so if anyone knows what it does, i need to know! Thanks!Attached File  IMG_0045.JPG   246.38KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0046.JPG   250.96KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0048.JPG   279.21KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:41 PM

Hard make out what kind of plug it is by your pictures.

Better pictures would help.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

The P4 connector is normally a 4 pin 12v connector for powering the CPU, introduced in the ATX12V 1.0 standard.  It is so called because until Pentium 4's were introduced, CPU's were powered by the 5v rail of the PSU...  In systems since then, power to the CPU is provided at 12v through this plug, which is converted to the low voltage/high current required by modern CPU's by a DC to DC converter built into the motherboard.

Most modern ATX PSU's have 2 of these plugs which can be clipped together to make one EPS12V 8 pin CPU connector, as used in many newer high powered systems.  In systems where there is only a 4 pin CPU power connector, the second "P4" connector is not used.

But I can't tell much from the pictures above, they are not very clear...

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Motionsicknessman

Motionsicknessman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:23 PM

sorry for the unclear pictures, i took them with my ipad :killcomp: and that is the only camera i have  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:  :smash: 

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

It probably is the 4 pin connector for the CPU, it serves a purpose dont disconnect it.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:10 PM

You stated that this is a SFF pc, and they do not use standard power supplies, not weird. That's just how they provide the power in those little boxes.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,417 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:23 AM

It's the SATA power lead. SATA drives are powered from two 4 pin sockets adjacent to the 4 SATA cable connectors, and that lead is plugged into one of them. Each power lead can supply power to 2 SATA drives . It looks like it only goes to the optical drive - maybe the HDD is powered using an adapter from a regular Molex plug.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:48 AM

FWIW here is the board layout.  It does have two 4-pin power out connectors for the HDD & ODD.  It also has a 4 pin CPU power connector.

KePv6ds.png

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:20 AM

I agree with jonuk76, SFF boards and power supplies are not like the standard motherboards/power supplies

#10 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

If the computer boots and works don't worry about a wire that isn't connected. I have plenty that aren't connected in mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users