Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving from an existing laptop to a new laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

The new: Acer Aspire 5 Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 2GB Graphic ?bit 1.0TB HDD+256SSD

The existing: Toshiba Satellite L55-B, 64bit 8GB RAM

I am not too experienced with transferring all the existing data, documents, photos & all of what was existing, to a new laptop or computer.

I didn't know if it is the same I saw on a similar topic, where the link here:

Of course, the 1st thing I should have done was to find out if the new laptop had 64 bit. It has: 1.0TB HDD+256SSD, and I am not quite sure, but seems it has TWO hard drives??

I am jumping from the old laptop because of a hinge issue that I am afraid will compromise the screen at some point. I wanted to make the switch now before I have to go through more work later. But I will work on fixing the old one as a back up, if something should happen.

Anyway as usual, I am glad for the replies & input.

Thanks,

mixpix

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

I am attempting to move my data from the old laptop, but it is a frustrating process. I have to download to an external & then move over to the other new laptop.
What I am finding is that 1) I was looking for the command or shortcut to highlight all the picture files, instead of holding down the shift key & scrolling

2) I notice that there are red circles, with white "X" in the left bottom corners of the pictures & icons.

3) the new laptop does not have a dvd drive so I was hoping that I could run the disk from the old machine to download the 'Microsoft Office Small Business 2007' onto a thumb drive & then upload it to the new one if possible? Or what would you recommend for saving word documents?

I know that this was time consuming, to move over in such a manner, but I have the time now.

Thanks for the help
mixpix

#3 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

Another question, is OneDrive" essential or is there a way of getting around it. Turns out that OneDrive has prompted me in that my file size is too large.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users