Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Java Needed?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 null__

null__

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

Just what the title says, is Java needed on most machines? Every computer I setup for customers I install Java on. Is this a thing of the past or is it still needed?

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2018 - 02:07 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to General Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

In general it is not needed on private computers. There are still some applications that need it, and if you are programming in Java then you need the JRE but in general, no.

Having said that, my favourite small game requires the JRE to operate !

If you need it it is easy enough to install, I would not install it as a matter of routine.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Struppigel

Struppigel

Karsten Hahn, G DATA Malware Analyst

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:50 AM

I agree with Chris here. Some programmes will need the Java runtime, but these will usually install or ship the runtime with them, if it is not there. There is no need to install Java preemptively. It just opens up some more infection vectors.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:46 PM

As stated its not required for normal use , i havent used for years on my daily used laptop , but sometimes i will install on desktop for when its needed.

Any PCs i repair i never install Java { same goes for Adobe Flash } as this may compromise those PCs in the future or the possibility.

If for any reason they think they need them { i tell them NO ! } its there choice to install.

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

There were a couple of sites which usage required Java.  One of them was some language exchange site (its name I no longer remember) and another was the screencast-o-matic page for making screen recordings.  Now about screencast-o-matic, one can download a program for making screen recordings from them and then no longer need to have Java installed on the machine.  

One or two of the alternative Office type programs requires the use of Java for certain features to work.  Again, I do not any longer remember which of those Office programs these were/or are.  

I have NO Java installed on my (those which are really mine) computers, and I miss nothing about Java.  

#6 win10user

win10user

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:18 AM

you didnt say where you're setting it up for and for what

no for me never need it

#7 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:03 AM

As stated its not required for normal use , i havent used for years on my daily used laptop , but sometimes i will install on desktop for when its needed.

Any PCs i repair i never install Java { same goes for Adobe Flash } as this may compromise those PCs in the future or the possibility.

If for any reason they think they need them { i tell them NO ! } its there choice to install.

this is a two part question... #1 In a business environment, not developer though,(and no gaming) is there any need for Java? I get a lot of people that have it and I never want to uninstall it in case it breaks stuff, but I know that Java is bad for opening vulnerabilities... Almost wondering now if I should uninstall and see what happens, I can always reinstall if I need to...

#2- The statement about "Adobe Flash" would that include Acrobat DC Reader? I know Adobe is bad for security bugs, but I like my free PDF reader....Any suggestion on which one is good besides Foxit (which I do not like)? Or is that a totally different scenario from Flash? (my understanding is that flash is for playing videos, and chrome already has that covered)?

#8 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:47 AM

A popular free pdf reader is Sumatra. I use this on all my machines without any problems.

https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

I'm sure other poster will have other suggestions too.

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

Hi all!

Personally, I used Java in the past for filing my taxes, but eventually, the IRS in my country, Norway, stopped requiring the population to have it installed and after some persuasion on the Bleeping Computer Forum, I decided to uninstall it, and to be honest I do not miss it at all! Good riddance! :smash:

And, given Java's long track record of vulnerabilities, I would never, ever, recommend installing it unless you are absolutely certain that you still need it for one or more Java-based program(s) (of course, I do not).

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 06 May 2018 - 11:04 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

@STS-1

#1 It depends if in that business environment, they use applications that require Java

#2 Sumatra PDF, or you can use Chrome or Firefox

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

Even though the company classes it as "Discontinued Software," Tracker Software has recently updated PDF-XChange Viewer, which I love.  It was considered discontinued with the introduction of PDF-XChange Editor (and you can edit fill-in forms in Viewer), but an update was made to it at the end of January of this year.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 null__

null__
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

Awesome, I appreciate all of the input from you all! I've decided that when it comes to residential customers, I won't be installing Java. I started this a couple weeks ago and so far I haven't had any complaints!

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 787 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

Hi again, null__!

You are welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#14 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

A popular free pdf reader is Sumatra. I use this on all my machines without any problems.

https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

I'm sure other poster will have other suggestions too.

+ 1 Sumatra PDF Reader ,  changed to it a couple yrs ago and have never looked back.

#15 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the tips guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users