Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Java Needed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 null__

null__

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

Just what the title says, is Java needed on most machines? Every computer I setup for customers I install Java on. Is this a thing of the past or is it still needed?

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2018 - 02:07 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to General Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

In general it is not needed on private computers. There are still some applications that need it, and if you are programming in Java then you need the JRE but in general, no.

Having said that, my favourite small game requires the JRE to operate !

If you need it it is easy enough to install, I would not install it as a matter of routine.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#3 Struppigel

Struppigel

Karsten Hahn, G DATA Malware Analyst

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:50 AM

I agree with Chris here. Some programmes will need the Java runtime, but these will usually install or ship the runtime with them, if it is not there. There is no need to install Java preemptively. It just opens up some more infection vectors.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:46 PM

As stated its not required for normal use , i havent used for years on my daily used laptop , but sometimes i will install on desktop for when its needed.

Any PCs i repair i never install Java { same goes for Adobe Flash } as this may compromise those PCs in the future or the possibility.

If for any reason they think they need them { i tell them NO ! } its there choice to install.

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

There were a couple of sites which usage required Java.  One of them was some language exchange site (its name I no longer remember) and another was the screencast-o-matic page for making screen recordings.  Now about screencast-o-matic, one can download a program for making screen recordings from them and then no longer need to have Java installed on the machine.  

One or two of the alternative Office type programs requires the use of Java for certain features to work.  Again, I do not any longer remember which of those Office programs these were/or are.  

I have NO Java installed on my (those which are really mine) computers, and I miss nothing about Java.  

#6 win10user

win10user

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:18 AM

you didnt say where you're setting it up for and for what

no for me never need it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users