Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB files still available even after USB drive is removed ???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jackisgreat

jackisgreat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

While looking through my folder tree, I see files that are on my USB drive and still available even after the drive has been removed from my computer. Network > Users > Public > Public Documents > USB Drive. Will I cause a problem if I try to delete these files from the above location and where exactly are these files being stored on my computer ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,829 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

You have created a folder called "USB Drive" beneath your "Public Documents" folder which exists whether or not any external USB drive is connected.  Whatever is in that folder is in that folder and has no connection to whatever may or may not be on any of your USB drives.

Actual USB drives, when attached, will appear in the File Explorer/Windows Explorer tree with a drive letter assigned to them and will disappear from said tree when removed.

And if you are looking in the Network part of the tree there must be a level between "Network" and "Users" which is typically the name of the machine on which that Users folder resides.

Edited by britechguy, 09 April 2018 - 02:37 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

Isn't this a HomeGroup/Network thing Brian?  The computer is seeing this on another computer that has been joined on the HomeGroup.

jackisgreat, do you have another computer in the house that is on the same network with that USB Plugged in?  And if so you must have Joined a HomeGroup, which is making that USB and perhaps other files available over the Network.

jackisgreat

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,829 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

pcpunk,

Try looking under Network at the level "Network" then under a machine name under "Network".  In the latter you will see "Users" (at least most of the time).  If "Public" is shared then you'll see it under Users.

USB drives as plug-in entities do not appear under a single user, but under "My Computer"/"This PC".

The fact that Public\Public Documents\{Insert Folder Name Here} is mentioned means what's being seen is not a thumb/jump/flash drive.  They just don't appear that way.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 jackisgreat

jackisgreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

Britechguy;

Yes, there is the computer name between Network and Users. Don't know why I left it out.

pcpunk;

THIS computer is NOT in a home group with my "other" computer which is "off" most of the time...I use the "other" computer for "risky" internet connections. LOL

I read an article that suggested these "Public" USB files may be left in the "Page File" which is not deleted when the computer is turned off.

My concern is always security of my files and IF I deleted those files in that Network folder path, (IF they indeed are part of the "Page File") do I risk messing something up ?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users