Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Cdes When Trying To Install Itunes 7.1

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chriswhyte

chriswhyte

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

I am getting the following error messages when I try and install the latest version of iTunes...

1st error message..
Error 46: Could not load or find the QuickTime ActiveX control.

2nd error message..
Error 1905.Module C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTOControl.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472. Contact your support personnel.

3rd error message..
Error 1905.Module C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTOLibrary.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472. Contact your support personnel.

4th error message..
Error 1905.Module C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTUIPanelControl.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472. Contact your support personnel.

5th error message..
Error 1905.Module C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuickTimeCheck.ocx failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472. Contact your support personnel.

6th error message..
Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\QuickTimePlayerLib.QuickTimePlayerApp\CLSID. Verify that you have suffecient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Then the installer rolls back and it's game over!...

The installation of QuickTime did not complete successfully...blah, blah, blah GRRRR!

Please help me - as I am concerned I have deleted stuff of my registry in an attempt to fix another problem..

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks awfully,

Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

Is this a windows install ( what OS XP, sp2) and are you using Administrator access
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 chriswhyte

chriswhyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for the reply..

I am running XP and my account is set with administrator rights.
There are 3 set up, 2 with admin rights and one without.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:09 AM

Download Quicktime.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,147 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:19 AM

Windows and Mac have different proceedures, so I wanted to give you the appropriate one.
Apple recommends to Completely Remove iTunes and QuickTime to solve this : so there are complete instructions here. Then reinstall ....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 cjester08

cjester08

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

Hi.

I found this forum and thread because I was having the exact same problem as Chris. Same error messages word for word, when I attempted to update Itunes. I've followed the advice given here, and still get the same error messages...There's really about to be one less computer in the world if I can't figure this out.

Also, now that I'veuninstalled Itunes and quicktime with it, I can't download them again in any capacity. Does anyone have any insight? Echo the opening post, anything is very appreciated!

Jesse

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

For problems directly involving QuickTime and itunes,why not try going directly to Apples Newsgroups.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,147 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

Hello people, All the solutions I've found say Completely Remove iTunes and QuickTime as per the instructions here

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976

Then before installing, use the Microsoft "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:41 AM

After uninstallation of ITunes and Quicktime, and a reboot and the Use of the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility", try taking advantage of the Windows One-Care free Scan:

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

That will eliminate orphaned registry entries, clean temp files, defrag and possibly eliminate the reasons why you are having trouble reinstalling Quicktime and ITunes.

#10 Huskerbreeze

Huskerbreeze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:18 AM

I had the same problem trying to upgrade to Itunes 7.1. After hours of playing and searching, I stumbled on to something. FIND WHICH account originally installed Itunes. If you go to that account to try to reinstall/upgrade, chances are, it will allow you to remove everything and reinstall/upgrade just fine. At least that worked for me.

It is weird, because it Itunes wouldn't let me upgrade on my administrator account, only on my daughters (the person who last upgraded).

Just a thought...give it a try!!

#11 joseafus

joseafus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem as the starter of this thread. I tried to reinstall quicktime to see if that would fix it, but I got the same error. I'll look at some of the other suggestions, including Huskerbreeze's, because I originally installed iTunes from another account.

#12 djhedbuzz

djhedbuzz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:12 AM

Ok, I had the exact same problem, and after trying to fix it FOREVER... i finally solved it. It does involve going into and editting your registry, which is dangerous and you can easily mess up your computer really bad so this isn't for the faint of heart.

I'm running windows xp pro and am the admin, you must be the admin to do this.

First step:
-Go to 'start'
-click on 'control panel'
-double click 'Administrative Tools'
-double click 'Computer Management'

-on the left column, expand the [+] sign next to 'Local Users and Groups'
-click on the 'Users' folder

-now on the right side should be a list of users for your computer. find your profile name and left click on it
-select 'Properties'
-select the 'Member Of' tab

-make sure you are a member of the 'Administrators' group (if not, click 'Add' and a dialog box will open. click the 'Advanced' button. then click the 'Find Now' button. a list of groups will appear, select 'Administrator' then click 'ok'

-now that you're and admin, just close all open windows

Second Step:
-Go to 'start'
-click on 'run'
-in the dialog box type in 'regedit' without the quotes
-now that you're in the registry editor do this:
- click on the [+] next to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE'
- click on the [+] next to 'Software'
- click on the [+] next to 'Classes'
-now click on the folder 'QuickTimePlayerApp' it may give you and error message, just click 'ok' and ignore it
-with 'QuickTimePlayerApp' highlighted, click 'edit' and select 'Permissions...'
-it will probably give you another error message. just keep clicking ok until you get to the permissions dialog box
-click on the 'Advanced' button
-click on the 'Owner' tab
-select your account name, and check the 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'
-click 'ok' and you get another error message, just click 'ok'
-now you should be back to the main permissions dialog box, click the 'Add' button
-in the Select Users or Groups dialog box click 'Advanced'
-then select 'Find Now'
-then select your account and click 'ok'
-this takes you back to the permissions dialog box
-in the bottom part of that box, under Full Control, check the Allow column
-click 'ok'

you should be solid now, i re-ran the itunes installer again, and got about three more registry key errors that i need to change permmissions on in the registry editor. so just keep open the Registry Editor window and find the registry keys that says you need permission for and repeat the process over and over until you get no more errors and itunes finally installs.

i know it's a pain, but i found no other solution that really worked

Edited by djhedbuzz, 01 April 2007 - 01:12 AM.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:22 AM

I also think it is important that you DO NOT have your iPod plugged in when installing iTunes.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users