Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using a VOIP phone

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nethgerona

nethgerona

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

Anyone who's using a VOIP phone? I have a high-speed internet connection and would like to lower my phone bills. Is using a A VoIP or broadband phone service can help me with this problem? Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

I've looked into several VOIP services and found several that are absolutely scams. Be sure to check reviews before

using any of them. Especially the $8 to $10 a month ones.

I have used Skype since it first became available in the USA. Since Microsoft bought it...you can no longer use the

portable home phones that were manufactured for Skype users. But you can use Skype on smart phones, computers and

tablets. I spend about $60 a year for a phone number and a one year subscription for making calls anywhere in USA and Canada.

If you have WIFI in your home then you can use a smart phone without having a computer running. $60 a year is a lot less than

close to $500 a year for a landline.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 nethgerona

nethgerona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for the advice and the info. Yes, I'll be very careful in choosing a VOIP company. These are very helpful. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Well, unless you reject Google on principle, you really can't beat Google Voice if it's available where you live.

I've got three different phone numbers through Google Voice, one of which I use for my business.  Voice now integrates with Hangouts, but you still need to go through Voice to secure a phone number.

You can use Hangouts to receive and place calls via the app on Android, iPhone (I believe), and either via hangouts.google.com if you're using certain web browsers or through the Hangouts plug-in for Chrome.

It's been free for years and there are no signs of that changing yet that I can see.

If you've got a data plan on your smartphone you can have its native phone number but also have Google Hangouts active such that calls to whichever account that has a Voice number will ring through as well.  Although you can switch between which account is used in Hangouts, only one is connected at any moment in time.

It's worked close to flawlessly most of the time for me, and when there have been "burps" the call goes to voicemail and I get an e-mail message with a transcription of the message.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

I don't think nethgerona can use Google Voice as his posted time zone is not in the USA.

Hangouts isn't available according to Make a phone call with Hangouts - Computer - Hangouts Help

QUOTE: To receive phone calls, text messages, and voicemails in Hangouts, you need to set up Google Voice or a Project Fi account, which are currently only available in the U.S.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 nethgerona

nethgerona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

Hi @britechguy. I got curious about how Google Voice works. You think this is better that voip phone? Also, am i just allowed to make a call only to those who has hangouts installed to their phones or this can be done to anybody. 

Thanks for your help. :)

Well, unless you reject Google on principle, you really can't beat Google Voice if it's available where you live.

I've got three different phone numbers through Google Voice, one of which I use for my business.  Voice now integrates with Hangouts, but you still need to go through Voice to secure a phone number.

You can use Hangouts to receive and place calls via the app on Android, iPhone (I believe), and either via hangouts.google.com if you're using certain web browsers or through the Hangouts plug-in for Chrome.

It's been free for years and there are no signs of that changing yet that I can see.

If you've got a data plan on your smartphone you can have its native phone number but also have Google Hangouts active such that calls to whichever account that has a Voice number will ring through as well.  Although you can switch between which account is used in Hangouts, only one is connected at any moment in time.

It's worked close to flawlessly most of the time for me, and when there have been "burps" the call goes to voicemail and I get an e-mail message with a transcription of the message.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

nethgerona,

As buddy215 has already noted, Google Voice is not available worldwide.  Presuming you have a Google Account (Gmail account) the first thing I'd suggest you do is to log in to it, then open a second browser tab in the same browser and go to the Google Voice Sign Up Page.   If it gives you options for searching for a phone number you know that Voice is available to you, if not, then it's a moot point.

Since Google Voice is free, and I have zero concerns regarding privacy with regard to any phone calls I've made or be making using the service, I far prefer it to a VOIP phone.  It is, of course, using VOIP [Voice Over Internet Protocol] to make calls.  You can access it in most common browsers, except Firefox at the moment, either directly through voice.google.com or hangouts.google.com.   I prefer using Hangouts for calls and SMS (text messages) because it seamlessly handles both via the hangouts.google.com website or the Hangouts App for the Chrome Browser or on the Android platform.  On Android, if you wish to be able to direct dial, you'll also want to install the Hangouts Dialer app, which will present a button when you're on the "phone side" of Hangouts (as opposed to the text side) that causes the phone dial pad to pop up where you can dial the number you want.

According to one of the Google Voice Help Pages, Google Voice is available only within the United States which, upon further reading, I take to mean that you can only get a Google Voice number if you live in the USA.  However, they also state, " If you're outside the U.S., you can make calls with Hangouts."  Based on the material on the linked page it appears that you can use Hangouts to make outgoing calls no matter where you are located in the world, but in order to be able to receive incoming calls you must have either Google Voice or Project Fi (about which I know nothing) number, both of which are only available in the USA.

Depending on what your needs are you may be able to use Hangouts to place calls and something else to receive calls if you are outside the USA.

And, to answer your direct question, Hangouts/Google Voice can be used to place calls to any phone number in the world.  One will incur a charge if these calls are not to numbers within the USA or Canada, but the rates are quite low.  I cannot make any accurate statement about what call quality might be like outside the United States as I've never placed a call when I've been outside the United States (in fact, I think Google Voice/Hangouts did not even exist when I last traveled internationally).

Edited by britechguy, 13 April 2018 - 10:09 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 nethgerona

nethgerona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:11 AM

This is great. thanks for all the info. :)

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

I use Voip. At first I used my isp's service but it was unreliable and expensive, then I tried Vonage for a couple years, I would get an echo and over time they nickel and dime'd me to raise my bill....Did not like that. I then tried out an Ooma service and the phone basic service is free, but I do have to pay taxes and 911 fees, it's only about $5. a month. If you want more than the basic service (caller ID, voice mail...ect) then they charge $10. fee for that but I've been using Ooma for several years now and they have not raised my charges. You have to purchase the Ooma telo box, I got mine at Amazon for $75.

You'll need to check the Ooma service in your country, to know what they offer

Edit: after doing some checking, it looks like Ooma service is not available if you live outside of the U.S., you'll have to find a voip service within your own country and research their reputation on line from users in your area

Edited by Joe C, 15 April 2018 - 08:46 AM.

#10 nethgerona

nethgerona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:40 AM

I'll go and make some research. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

I use Voip. At first I used my isp's service but it was unreliable and expensive, then I tried Vonage for a couple years, I would get an echo and over time they nickel and dime'd me to raise my bill....Did not like that. I then tried out an Ooma service and the phone basic service is free, but I do have to pay taxes and 911 fees, it's only about $5. a month. If you want more than the basic service (caller ID, voice mail...ect) then they charge $10. fee for that but I've been using Ooma for several years now and they have not raised my charges. You have to purchase the Ooma telo box, I got mine at Amazon for $75.

You'll need to check the Ooma service in your country, to know what they offer

Edit: after doing some checking, it looks like Ooma service is not available if you live outside of the U.S., you'll have to find a voip service within your own country and research their reputation on line from users in your area

#11 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:13 AM

ive been using ooma for about a year now
basic service is less than 5 dollars a month
access to smart services use to be 17 or 18
now it says 9.99 a month

https://www.ooma.com/telo/home-phone-service/

#12 nethgerona

nethgerona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

Hi @cpunoob. How's the service of ooma so far?

#13 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

telemarketers get through unfiltered, but it is the cheapest service ive seen here so far .
ive had to reboot the little box maybe 3 times, loss of dial tone.
the box has voice mail, so if calls don't get to phone it can record them too.

the premium service is great, very rare for telemarketers to get passed.
every now and then you get 30 day free trial of it.

was very easy to set up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users