Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner - Delete Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files and Windows Error Reporting?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

Hi,

I am going through the options in CCleaner to decide which items to clean or keep on a Windows PC.  What would you recommend doing for these items?

• Memory Dumps
  • Windows Log Files
  • Windows Error Reporting

Is it good to clean and tidy up these items, or are they worth keeping and should not be deleted?

Is there usually anything worth keeping in Temporary Files?

I'm not intending to run CCleaner very frequently - perhaps once a month or ad-hoc when something needs cleaning.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

Generally...a log file is created by Windows...to provide an audit trail for review...if a user wants to conduct a review of a given event/process.

Windows Error Reporting and Memory Dump files...are potentially crucial when attempting to troubleshoot known system issues, IMO.

Not sure what "log files" might be...I've never had the inclination to use such because I don't have the brain power to troubleshoot complex problems (e.g., chkdsk logs) but I would leave such alone since they might be useful to those who are more adept at troubleshooting system issues.

I cannot think of a valid reason for ever deleting the above-named files...log files are generally tiny and do not themselves normally present any system problems...and they are created with the intent of being potentially helpful.  The developers of Windows are far more intelligent than I...I assume that such knowledge is reflected in the creation of "log files."

Do not invoke the "registry cleaner" function of Ccleaner.

Temporary files can (and should be) routinely deleted.  Such may often be a locus of adware/malware.  See Ken Blake comments at Answers, Microsoft.com .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 April 2018 - 07:37 AM.

#3 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

Hi Louis,

Many thanks for your reply as that has helped me make up my mind about my usage of CCleaner (and similar apps such as Glary Utilities).

I will primarily use CCleaner for deleting Temporary Files and keep the log files and similar (as they are typically small and might be useful).  Although I will use CCleaner, I only have a small number of items marked off for deletion that I feel comfortable with.  My strategy is to unselect all items then just select the ones that I really want (not the other way round).

Sometimes, Memory Dumps can be large and some significant disk space can be saved by deleting them.  However. as they can be used to troubleshoot issues (such as when a BSOD occurs), it might be best to leave them, particularly if they are relating to an issue that happened recently.

I will leave the registry cleaner (although it did find some registry entries that shouldn't be there from apps I had previously uninstalled).

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

. . .  they can be used to troubleshoot issues (such as when a BSOD occurs), it might be best to leave them, particularly if they are relating to an issue that happened recently.

I will leave the registry cleaner (although it did find some registry entries that shouldn't be there from apps I had previously uninstalled).

You've hit two nails on their heads.  Log files and memory dumps are really of no use unless you are in the midst of diagnosing a current crisis or are trying to figure something out (in the case of logs).  Ancient logs and memory dumps are both useless as far as I'm concerned.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users