Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer/display has trouble starting up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 EsmeraldaK

EsmeraldaK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

Hello everybody,

I have this strange problem which I hope you people can shed some light on.

In short : My pc wont start up properly. It will take either 1. some 20 minutes before the screen will come on (and it would give the wrong screen-resolution) or 2. (in most cases) the screen wont turn on at all. In the latter case, if I will power the pc on/off for some 20 times or so, the screen would finally turn on (in the proper screen-resolution). And when it finally does come on, I can use this pc without problems for hours on end.

What I did :

- flashed the BIOS
- updated graphic and monitor drivers
- changed monitors
- changed graphic card
- cleaned the fans
- replaced cables

All to no avail.

I haven't reinstalled Windows or checked for virusses because this problem seems to happening pre-Windows and possibly even pre-BIOS?.
When this problem occurs, the power-LED from the monitor would blink. And during this problem, a very high-pitched and very faint beep is heard..I couldn't trace where it is coming from (possibly the mobo?)

My setup is a : ASUS P5G41T-M LX, Intel E5700, 4GB DDR3, NVIDIA GT218 (tried other videocards : same problem)

Thank you in advance! :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

start it in safe mode.....does it work and boot fine in safe mode?

#3 EsmeraldaK

EsmeraldaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

start it in safe mode.....does it work and boot fine in safe mode?

I dont think it would matter. The problems always occur immediately during starting up..so when its still trying to get through the "BIOS"-screen.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:37 AM

If I had to hazard a guess it may be the PSU. They do sell PSU testers and if you have a multimeter it can be done manually. PSUs can test okay but when under load fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Have you tried the integrated graphics on the MB vs using the discrete GPU?

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:37 AM

I dont think it would matter. The problems always occur immediately during starting up..so when its still trying to get through the "BIOS"-screen.

so you come here asking for help and suggestions, but you are not even willing to try the suggestions offered?

my work here is done

Edited by mikey11, 09 April 2018 - 08:39 AM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the monitor failing.  Eventually failed to power on and had to get a new one.

#7 EsmeraldaK

EsmeraldaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

If I had to hazard a guess it may be the PSU. They do sell PSU testers and if you have a multimeter it can be done manually. PSUs can test okay but when under load fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Have you tried the integrated graphics on the MB vs using the discrete GPU?

When I come home, I will try another PSU and also the onboard-graphics option and will let you know, thank you :-)

#8 EsmeraldaK

EsmeraldaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

so you come here asking for help and suggestions, but you are not even willing to try the suggestions offered?

my work here is done

Wow... I think I answered you in a polite way why it would not make much difference. So why respond like this? I do appreciate your help but my problem happens before it even reaches Windows so Safe Mode would not make much difference..if I will even make it to that point.
I still have no idea why you have to respond in this manner. I dont have all the knowledge like you guys are having here (thats why I came here) but now I feel a bit uneasy to ask for help, so thanks

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

Check your UEFI/BIOS settings. You may need to enable the onboard graphics. Some motherboards can switch automatically. I would switch the PSU with the Nvidia card in place before using the onboard graphics if you have a spare PSU.

#10 EsmeraldaK

EsmeraldaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

I will try just that and will let you know. Thank you John :-)

Edited by hamluis, 10 April 2018 - 03:29 PM.

#11 EsmeraldaK

EsmeraldaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:16 AM

Dear JohnC_21,

I indeed replaced the PSU and now everything works like a charm again, so thank you for your time and help :-)

@mjd420nova : after changing the PSU which solved my problem, I still heard that faint beeping noise I was referring to in my first post. That was my monitor causing this so I replaced it as well. Thank you as well for that tip :-)

@mikey11 : thank you for your help as well, no hard feelings please :-)

This topic can be closed now.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Glad you resolved it.

We don't normally close topics.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic