Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally switched monitor display to second monitor. Can't switch it back.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kias85

Kias85

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:46 AM

Like the title says, I accidentally switched my desktop to second screen display only and I can't plug in another monitor because I only have the one hdmi to vga cable. I've restarted the computer and tried using Windows key + P to switch it back but it doesn't seem to be working and I'm at a loss what to do.

When this happened I was attempting to use a tv I had never used before as a monitor. I usually use a standard AOC monitor but I only have one. Not sure if that's important or not. I'm running Windows 10.

Also after fiddling around with trying to use Windows + P the keyboard will sometimes start to just make a clicking noise at every key press. After being left on like this for a while the monitor will suddenly display a blue screen with an error that says:

"RECOVERY
There was a problem with a device connected to your pc.
An unexpected I/O error has occurred. File: /Boot/BCD
Error code 0xc00000e9
This problem can happen when a removable storage device is removed while in use or is failing. properly connecting any removable storage and restarting your pc may fix this problem"

the computer then reboots itself.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!

Edited by Kias85, 09 April 2018 - 02:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:57 PM

can you plug the cable into your 2nd video port so you can see what's on that screen.  you don't have to have 2 monitors connected to check to see if the other port is enabled.

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:23 AM

boot into safe mode to see if that will work, if it does you might be able to switch it back

Edited by Joe C, 11 April 2018 - 07:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users