Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which antivirus choices are currently considered the best - both free and paid?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:32 PM

Hi there, big Q-man! ;)

Which choices are currently considered the best - both free and paid?

I'm running MB3 (paid) on my computer, with free Spywareblaster (SWB) and free WP to supplement.  I'm running various Windows laptops and desktops on W7 & W10.

I also need to look at options for my friend's computer, whose McAfee LiveSafe expired and has security programs on it that I've not heard of (ByteFence Anti-Malware [also expired] and PCKeeper Antivirus).  She's got a 2015 HP Envy all-in-one.  She's using W10.

Also, what are the currently recommended supplementary programs?  MBAM? SAS? SWB? WinPatrol? Spybot?  Which WP products are recommended?

I refuse to use AVG as I've noticed that they still do some funny things (like adding software without permission).

I'm also curious as to why I don't see Emsisoft being recommended here anymore...?

Thanks!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

You may want to read:

The first topic includes choices for both free and pay for...it also includes my comments as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Links to some related discussion topics:

See my comments in this topic which includes what ransomware protection I use and a link to an updated list of other ransomware prevention tools.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

Thanks!  Given the security problem that was reported about Kaspersky, I'm surprised it is on the list.  I'm also surprised to see AVG on the list given that AVG is sometimes bundled and sometimes gets installed surreptitiously.

But, what I'd really like to know is this: is my MB3 (paid) as good as, say, ESET and Emsisoft AM?  How does it stack up to the best free AVs, like Sophos and BD?  I had problems with it last year, but I got great support and got that straightened out.  Hoping it's improved.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:36 PM

I split your postings in the Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources thread into its own topic. Since you want to continue specific discussion and that thread is primarily for listing security resources.

As I noted in the other topic you posted...Some believe the targeting against Kaspersky is politically motivated.

Kaspersky Russian Spying Rumors: Should You Use This Antivirus?
Kaspersky Lab v. DHS: The Government's Response and Kaspersky's Reply

AVG is on the list along with others as alternatives so folks can make a choice. Being on that list does not necessarily mean it is recommended. I certainly do not recommend AVG for a variety of reasons and the same goes for avast.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users