Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Hangs When Coming Out Of Sleep Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

A few days ago, my Windows 7 PC started to have problems with the OS hanging up when coming out of Sleep Mode. I first noticed it when I saw that the icon in the system tray for the internet connection had a red "X" thru it. Then, when trying to start a program, nothing would happen except that the little blue circle would spin around for about 30 seconds before disappearing again. When I clicked the Start button and clicked Shut Down, the menu froze and the only way to get out of the situation was to hold the power button to force a power off condition. When powering on again, I selected "Start Windows Normally" and everything was fine again. This probably happens about every fifth or sixth time I put the computer in Sleep Mode.

If anyone has any insight into this, I would appreciate the help. Thanks...!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

Worth a read, IMO:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-hangs-up-after-waking-up-from-sleep-mode/9dfd8202-302e-42e4-af47-ec986c3a5b05 .

Louis

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:48 PM

Louis,

I will check the things referenced in the article. The person posting on MSN stated that their keyboard and mouse did not work. On my computer, the mouse works fine and both the mouse and keyboard are wireless. I've had the computer for 2.5 years and up until now it has been fine. But I will see if any of the things in the article will fix this.

Thanks.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:54 AM

if you read posting on sleep mode, people have issues with it all the time and can be very tiresome trying to fix them.

Most experts will tell you to disable sleep & hibernate modes and just shut off your computer completely to avoid these kinds of issues.

besides windows needs a good reboot at least once a week if not more to run good.  and when you throw in a sleep or hibernate you just adding to the fire.

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:39 AM

After thinking back on the situation, I remember that last year I was having a different problem when coming out of Sleep mode. What I was getting then was the BSOD which included a message stating that a log file was being generated, but the message went away so fast that I could never get the file name or location. But then that problem went away and didn't come back again until a couple of weeks ago when the OS just started hanging up when coming out of Sleep.

Where it was happening a couple of times a day last week, it hasn't happened at all for the last couple of days, now. I always shut down the computer at the end of the day. I think that I'll just let this go and deal with it as it comes up.

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

Sleep and hibernate normally work very well, especially if the computer is recent. I did have trouble with sleep a couple of years ago on an older computer. Then, for another reason, I had to change my power supply. Interestingly, that fixed the sleep mode problem right away and it never came back! I only use sleep mode in the day when away from the computer for a couple hours. Otherwise, especially for the night, I always shut down the computer. 

Edited by Phantom010, 11 April 2018 - 07:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users