Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem adding second monitor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PianoMan55

PianoMan55

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

Thanks to you guys putting on to Newegg, I found a VGA splitter and 10'VGA cable which I could afford. Problem is, I have an older monitor that I was going to set on my piano along with a wireless keyboard with mouse pad. That way I will not have to be running a second PC at the piano.

When I connected the monitors and booted up, the second monitor said Input Not Supported. I opened the Settings, multiple monitors, and clicked Detect. It could not detect the second monitor. Any solution to this, other than purchasing newer monitor?
The monitor is approx. 5-6 years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,680 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

Sometimes it just takes a power cycle on the monitor for the PC to recognze the second unit, especially in the older units.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

modern monitors do 2 way communications thru the cable and you can't split a standard single vga signal for 2 monitors.

you have to get a 2nd vga adapter ex:usb to vga or something of that nature to do what you want.

#4 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:29 AM

Could you explain in terms like Adding Second Monitor For Dummies?😭. I mean like really dumb it down.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

most modern vga ports are "Active" ports and you can't split them with a Y cable.

active ports - talk back and forth from the pc to the monitor and monitor to the pc.

passive ports - are an output only and you can use a Y cable on them to split a vga signal.  but you don't see these on computers anymore.

if you want 2 monitors on your computer, you have to have 2 video output devices.  1 being the connector that you already have and then another either from a 2nd video card or using a usb 3.0 to vga port adapter.

can you post a link to what vga splitter you purchased?  i think you just purchased the wrong device. if it's a Y cable then it's not going to work.

this device will work because it has a controller chip inside that will properly communicate with the computer, but it will just be a duplicate of the screen that you already see.   you will not see it listed as 2 monitors in the windows display settings.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150198&cm_re=vga_splitter-_-15-150-198-_-Product

if you have usb 3.0 ports on your computer then you can use this and it will show up as a 2nd monitor connected in the display properties.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4V21WJ7369&cm_re=usb3.0_to_vga-_-9SIA4V21WJ7369-_-Product

Edited by mightywiz, 10 April 2018 - 12:49 PM.

#6 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

Here is the link to the VGA splitter I purchased from New Egg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200766

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,680 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

Not a big fan of ANY adapters.  With the hand-shaking going on between the monitor and the VGA port, adding a second device on the same  port will just confuse the VGA port and result in only one output or none and I see no way of getting that adapter to work as you intended.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted Yesterday, 06:05 AM

I could only see these adapters being useful in very specific situations.  They are very limited in what they can do.  The second monitor will receive *exactly* the same signal as the primary monitor.  It will not appear as two monitors in Windows display properties etc. 

The fact you are getting an "input not supported" message on the second monitor suggests that it is receiving a signal, but the signal is not one that it can process.  This could be down to the resolution or refresh rate of the first monitor not being supported by the second monitor.

Let's say monitor one is a 1080p widescreen (1920 x 1080 @ 60 hz) and monitor two is an older non widescreen type that supports a max resolution of 1280 x 1024 @ 60 hz.  If you don't change any settings and the computers output stays at 1080p, the second monitor won't be able to handle it as the input will be a higher resolution than it can display.  What you'd need to do then, is switch the resolution in Windows display properties to match the older monitor.  It might work.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Can you post your computer brand/model, or your motherboard brand/model?  If your computer has a discrete video card post that too.

Most modern computers have two or more monitor connections. 

We can probably identify a way to hook the 2nd monitor to a dedicated graphics port of its own.

I am currently using a dual monitor setup, one using HDMI, and the other is VGA.  I also have an unused DVI connector on my system.  That is all available from my motherboard's integrated video ports.  It is possible to get converters if your spare ports are a different type from what the monitor supports.  Even my cheap laptop has both HDMI and VGA.  Many newer laptops have Display Ports as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users