Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think a Recent WU patch is causing Memory isaues!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Over the last 4-5 days of down loading WU stuff I now get a pop up of memory running low.  It does not happen on the tower it has 16g but my lap top only has 6g, I have made no other changes to the system or my habits.  Does anyone have an idea which very recent WU patch is causing memory leakage???

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

My advice would be to uninstall all the windows updates applied in the last few days, then reinstall only the security ones, remember you have to go to the windows update catalog and download a .msu file, for you it would be KB4088878 http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4088878 pick the version relevant to your machine and OS. Also install any other security updates, or example there has been a recent one for adobe flash player and some for parts of the MS office suite. Do not install KB4088875, I'm not saying this is the problem update, but if you install KB4088878 then you'll get the security fixes anyway. Remember to turn off automatic download/install of updates and set it to "Check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", also uncheck the "give me recommended updates the same way I get important ones" box. See if your system is running better after doing this, if it is you'll know that the problem update was a either a fix for a minor non-security bug (a bug which probably won't affect you anyway, they usually only matter in very rare specific circumstances) or was some kind of feature or telemetry update which you almost certainly don't need. It is very important to apply the security update for Windows 7 for this month as it patches a really nasty flaw ("total meltdown") which was opened by the anti-spectre patches in Feb and Jan. You might also look to see whether there has been an intel update downloaded and used to edit your firmware as another anti-spectre defence, that might have had some effect on your system performance too, for many CPU types those have only just started being available.

P.S. I'm assuming you did install February's updates back in february, otherwise there's some more updates I'll need to point you to as well.

Edited by rp88, 08 April 2018 - 12:09 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:45 PM

Are you not able to include the context of the message exactly or a screen shot?

Do this so we can see what you have:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video device and driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

Edited by joseibarra, 08 April 2018 - 03:47 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users