Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WTF - Did MS Lock Me Out of the Captain's Cabin?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

I found an interesting article about Microsoft's recent updates that were perhaps unnecessary and perhaps dangerous and wanted to do some exploration before installing.  This is the article:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3268133/microsoft-windows/get-the-march-patches-for-your-windows-machines-installed-but-watch-out-for-win7.html

I noticed that Windows had this set to install automatically.  I went into Windows Update and unchecked it...and it installed anyway. 

Does Microsoft now override my personal settings?  I was not happy with how they totally removed my ability to choose updates in Windows 10 and wonder if this newly confirmed god-mode by Microsoft is creeping into the W7 world as well?

PS - It is possible that since I was in auto install mode that the update was locked in...but I did uncheck it and I also changed my update settings to notify me of updates and let me decide.

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 08 April 2018 - 07:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

I am not 100% on this but I believe if you set updates to Auto Windows will install all updates even if you uncheck them. The next time Windows checks it will see you have not installed the update and then will download and install.

After reading that article it confirms that Windows QA is a mess.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

I simply do not elect to install "critical" updates which are troublesome.

When I go to Windows Update, I look at the individual "critical" updates identified for install...then I de-select/uncheck those which I do not want to install.

Result is that I install the rollups, etc that I want, while leaving troublesome "updates."

Even if i have the system on auto-update, the troublesome ones will not install...and I will have the opportunity to de-select those I don't want installed.

The simple answer for those who want to avoid installation of updates for any reason...is not to employ the Windows auto-update mechanism.  It's optional behavior, not mandatory.

Louis

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

My advice is do not have updates set to automatically download or install, just have automatic checking, that way you can go and take a look at the list (very late every tuesday evening or first thing every wednesday morning) and see what is on offer, then investigate each patch by looking at the "more info" link and searching it's name on google followed by a word like "bug" or "problem". Then untick and hide those you don't want, tick and install those you do want. Updates should not be able to sneak through this.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

Thanks. 

Any suggestions for trusted sites that decipher these updates for the technically challenged? 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

There is no need to look up interpretations for updates, IMO, that's where many users go wrong.

The only Win 7 updates that need to be installed...are the rollups.  Anything other than those...you are taking your chances.  When my systems are working properly...I don't feel the need to scrutinize any updates MS deems critical...I just install them.  If there is a problem with installing one or more...I just ignore those and wait for the next set of rollups.  I'm not paranoid about "Microsoft" "invasion of privacy" and such.  If the system is working properly, I don't look for reasons to make it sick.

Louis

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

Post #5

My rule is "if it's a security fix to plug some kind of vulnerability then you need it, otherwise you don't". Microsoft's website generally says which patches are security fixes, look at the "more information" link for each update in the windows update interface. I personally generally install the security only rollups rather than the full rollups, as the full rollups can sometimes be a little buggy and may on very rare occasions have some telemetry junk in them, plus the full rollups are COLOSSAL to download. To get the security only versions you visit the more info page for each full rollup you are offered, then find on the page (generally above or below the full rollup's entry in a column on the left side of the page) the link to the security only version of the month's patch. The follow a link towards the bottom of the security only update's page to the microsoft update catalogue, download the .msu file and run that .msu file to install the update. If you prefer not to go through this then install the full rollup, either way also always install any standalone security updates, and avoid any standalone updates which offer only a new feature, only a fix for a non-security bug you've never suffered from or only telemetry stuff.

I used to maintain a thread on this site about which updates were necessary and safe to install, but found it increasingly difficult to keep the thread relevant after the so called "patchocalypse" when M$ started distributing patches as big rollups rather than their earlier model of distributing one little thing per update (hence now you get one or two updates per month, and big ones, back then you had loads of updates per month, all small ones). Plus I mostly compute on a linux system thesedays so don't keep up with the state of windows as closely as I did when maintaining that thread.

Edited by rp88, 12 April 2018 - 03:12 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users