Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back from vacation, Ethernet-connected desktop is unbelievably bad speeds, while

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jojobobohoho

jojobobohoho

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:54 AM

So, I just got home from a vacation, plugged in my modem and router, started up my computer and noticed something was very wrong. I speed-tested my desktop and got this: ping:50 DL: 0.3 Mbps UL: 1.27 Mbps. On my mac-book thru WiFi I got this: Ping:8 DL: 17.14 Mbps UL: 1.48 Mbps

I have Cox as an ISP and This modem, with a net-gear router. I am using the 2.4ghz for the WiFi and one of the four Ethernet ports on the router.

This problem has only arisen when I returned from vacation, and before vacation it was doing the same or better than the WiFi. I have rebooted the router and the modem correctly multiple times, and tried some other things, but to no avail. Any help is appreciated, feeling super lost!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

Hello!

Here's some things you can look for in order to pin down where the problem is.

You should test the speeds with at least 2 different cables and in 2 different ports on the router and see if the problem persists to ensure it's not a bad Ethernet cable and/or port. Maybe it got damaged when you disconnected it.

Does the problem persist when you connect your computer straight to the modem instead of to the router?

Does the router have a WAN-port? Is the cable from the modem to the router connected to it?

Another thing to check is so that the cable modems cable is properly plugged in, sometimes they'll be a bit sporadic in quality if the cable isn't connected properly and screwed (sorry for the bad english, I know there's a better word for it) in place. If you have another cable to try for the modem -> cable outlet that would be a good idea to test.

Another thing you should check is so that you didn't touch the copper part that is exposed in the cable for the modem, if you get grease on it - could give you poor contact for the modem.

Can't quite figure out of the modem has a routing function. If the modem has a routing function you should set your router as bridged mode.

Edit: format, rephrasing, added info and a hello at the start.

Edited by Vicin, 08 April 2018 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users