Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail - Move to...a label - it has gone haywire...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:50 PM

If I want to move an email out of my Gmail inbox to a label I've set up, just by clicking on that Move tab the email is moved to the first label in my list of labels. 

If I then try to move that email out of the top label it automatically moves it to the next label down the list! I cannot get it into the correct label.

This glitch is not happening on my other computers just this new one an Asus Zenbook UX305CA. They all are on Win 10, with Chrome.

Any answers to this glitch please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

I am unclear as to what's happening here.

On the Gmail web interface if I select some messages in my inbox, then select the Move (Folder Icon - why Google uses "Labels" for what even it implements as folders I'll never know) I am presented with a list of my labels and can choose which one I wish to move them to.  They always land in the label selected.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for responding.

Yes, previously, for years, on other computers the moving to a designated label was working as it should. On my new laptop it has worked OK for some weeks but recently when I select an inbox email and then click on the 'Move to' tab the email is automatically moved to the first label in my list - no opportunity to select which label I want. If I then select this misplaced email in the label  to move it again correctly it moves it to the next lower label in my list, ad infinitum,  not to the correct label.

I hope this is clearer.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

Oh another aspect I forgot to mention - Even when I click on 'Move to' when an email is first opened  (not from a list of received emails) it goes automatically to the first label in my label list.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:50 AM

The first thing I do when I start getting peculiar behaviors like this with any web-based interface (not just Gmail or e-mail) is to exit all my browsers and either use the method designated for each one, individually, to clear browser cache or run CCleaner which I have set to clear cache on all of my web browsers.

Cache corruption can lead to all sorts of really strange behaviors, most of which are isolated to a site or two.

It doesn't hurt to do a thorough cleaning and toss all cookies, too, but that will result in your needing to log in again to any number of sites you may have already been logged in to if they use cookies for that purpose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for that - I'll do that and see what happens.

A friend told me he drags his emails into the labels and I've just tried that and it works so I have cleaned up the misplaced ones into their correct labels.

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

I cleared browser cache but didn't help.

CCleaner is interesting - I have it on my computer, used it before, but nothing I do can run it now. Opening it from Start I only get the pop up which says 'Buy Now' or '14 day trial Sign up'!! I downloaded it again but the same thing happens!  In Task View I can delete any other websites there but not CCleaner! Had to delete it other way.

Right click on the app from the Start menu I can see 'Run CCleaner' and clicking on that still gets me to the Buy Now pop up.

Does CCleaner now insist on a trial I wonder?

Edited by zzzz, 08 April 2018 - 11:27 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:06 PM

No, CCleaner does not insist on a trial to my knowledge.  It's installer has now started the loathsome practice of bundling other software with it, but paying attention to your checkboxes and buttons does allow one to avoid the installation of unwanted stuff.

I would suggest uninstalling CCleaner, then using something like Revo Uninstaller after you restart the machine to check that everything's gone, then download the installer directly from the Piriform.com website and reinstall, paying very careful attention to each and every screen as you do.

#9 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

I uninstalled CCleaner, reinstalled and ran it which solved that problem but not the 'Move to' one.  Surely it can't be a computer problem, can it? 

Just remembered that I have access to my sister's gmail account - I'll try that! I'll let you know....

#10 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

Yes, the 'Move to' on my sister's account works OK. I signed out of my account and then signed back in but that didn't help.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

If this is account specific, and you've pretty much shown that it is, then the problem falls into Google's realm.

I would also try accessing your own account from an entirely different machine and location to see if anything is different then.  Just another troubleshooting step to try to narrow down where and when the behavior occurs.

#12 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:11 AM

I'm on my other laptop now and all is well in my Gmail account. I have 2 other computers  and there's no trouble there.  All my Google accounts are set up in the same way as far as I know - I can't think of any differences and the glitch laptop was working as normal  for 3 months until a week or so ago.

I do hope it's not a hardware problem - could it be? 

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

It is almost certainly not a hardware issue.

#14 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

I would bet on a specific extension in Chrome. Have you tried disabling all extensions, or running in Incognito mode?

#15 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Disabling all extensions and using incognito mode hasn't helped unfortunately. Just to add I can use OK the Delete and Undo  and all in the 'More'  drop down menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users