Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bill5

bill5

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:09 AM

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart

Cause : Unknown device driver

Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for
example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

The first time this happened, I was downloading a trial program from http://www.agismap.com/index.html In the middle of installation, I got the “blue screen” and it rebooted. Installation failed, of course. Ever since, the laptop is rebooting itself several times a day… pretty annoying. I suspect that it downloaded some sort of funky virtual device driver and whenever the computer hits it, it freaks out. This is just a theory, but it seems like a pretty big coincidence that the problem started during that installation and occurs thereafter. I picked a system checkpoint, prior to that installation and attempted a system restore. It rolls through that procedure and then bombs with the same error message before completing. I don’t see any problems in the Device Manager. I suppose I could reformat this drive, but you know what a hassle that is and I’m not certain that this process would fix it.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:20 AM

Is this the actual error message that you get?
0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

If not, we'll need the exact error message in order to troubleshoot it.

Here's a link for the STOP 0x1e error message: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x1e

These are generally caused by faulty drivers. I'd suggest uninstalling that "funky virtual device driver" as the first step.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bill5

bill5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:28 AM

That error message is just an example that Windows offers up.

Upon reboot, when the error occurs, the blue screen just flashes up for a second, before booting continues, so I am unable to see the exact error message, if it's giving me one. It does say that it's an "unknown device driver". I suspect that it's a virtual one, since everything in Device Manager appears to be working properly. There are a lot of .vxd files on the system, when I search that file type. I don't know how to determine which one to delete, if that would be a wise approach. Windows isn't telling me what to uninstall and I can't figure out what is creating the error.

#4 bill5

bill5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:44 AM

I turned off Auto StartUp, so maybe I can retrieve an error message now. Worth a try!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:50 AM

When it occurs post as much of the information on the blue stop screen (bsod) as possible.

It may be able to point us to the fix.

But actually, the best thing to do is to use your Windows System Restore to reset your system state to a previous working condition as it was before you downloaded the program that made it crash.

go to start/programs/accessories/system tools/Windows System Restore

Pick a date in bold from before you loaded the driver that has caused the crash.

Follow directions on-screen

If you have done any Windows Updates or updated your AV program since that date you will have to redownload the updates.

That should cure the problem if your system was running properly before the crash.

After your system boots properly I suggest you reboot and do the following web-based scan using Internet Explorer only:

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 October 2006 - 08:13 AM.

#6 bill5

bill5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

I'm accessing the Event Viewer and under "System" I see all the crashes. Here are the two error messages it's giving me:

"Error Code: 0000007f"
(Parameters 1-4 shows all zeros)

Some crashes are showing this event message:

"The PMEM service failed due to the following error. The system cannot find specified file."

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:20 AM

Post the entire message you see in the event viewer here.

They usually point to specific files that are causing them.

#8 bill5

bill5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

I started in Safe Mode and was able to do a system restore to a checkpoint that was prior to my crashes. Previously, in Full Mode, the system restore caused a crash.
I'll let you know if this resolves the problem.
Thanks VERY much for your help!
:thumbsup:

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

You are very welcome.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

The STOP 0x7f errors are commonly hardware failures (which may include the drivers) - and many of them are memory failures.

If the problem recurs, please get the complete message from the Blue Screen - or you can fish it out of the Event Viewer by using this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Here's a link to the error description: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7f

I'd suggest starting off with a memory test. This is the one that I like: http://www.memtest86.com/ You'll create a floppy or CD boot disk and boot from that to run the test. Let the test run a minimum of 2 hours (but overnight is better).

The results of the memory test and the information from the Blue Screen and Event Viewer will help to narrow this down.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users