Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD only when playing games....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ickray

ickray

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

Hello, 

Out of nowhere my PC has been starting to crash ONLY while gaming. I haven't updated my drivers recently, so I decided to update them all and do memory checks, though it hasn't helped. I disabled multicore rendering in cs:go, which seems to have stopped the crashing for that game, but others still crash. I'm getting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD's. The 0x0000000a error string seems to be a constant here. Here are screen shots of bluescreen view. From the errors, it seems like it is a driver that is causing this, but I can't seem to pinpoint which one. Thanks in advance for any help.

https://imgur.com/a/CtBcJ

https://imgur.com/a/FxGxA

PC Specs: Win 10x64

i7-6700k

16gb ddr4 ram

GTX 980 SC

Edited by ickray, 07 April 2018 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:16 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

The file ntoskrnl.exe seems to be getting the blame for this. As this is a system file the first thing to do is to run SFC (System File Checker). To do this type 'Command' into the search/cortana box. The result you want should be at the very top of the list. RIGHT click on it and select 'Run as administrator'. You will then get a small black screened window with white text and a blinking underscore at the end of all the text. Type, without the ' ', 'SFC /scannow' - it's not case sensitive - and press 'Enter'. Note that there is a space between 'SFC' and '/scannow'.

SFC will now start to run. It can take quite a while, up to an hour would not be totally unusual. Do NOT interrupt it before it is finished. When it finishes it will supply a report which will say one of three things, I translate freely -

No problems found

Problems found and fixed

Problems found and not fixed

If you get either of the first two go back to playing your games and see if it bluescreens again, if it does, post back.

If you get the third one, run SFC a second time, and if you get the same report, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 07 April 2018 - 05:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users