Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion Linux Mint vs. MX Linux: What's Best for You?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

https://www.datamation.com/open-source/linux-mint-vs.-mx-linux-whats-best-for-you.html

Edited by The-Toolman, 07 April 2018 - 12:57 PM.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

Yes I was reading that article just the other day. :thumbup2:

At the moment I've got a VM set up with both Mint and MX-Linux, so I can run a comparison between them.

To be honest, from what I've seen so far, there are pluses and minuses for both. I've had more exposure to Mint, so it would not be fair for me to state any kind of preference until I've had more time to get used to MX-Linux.

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:18 AM

I've used Linux Mint and MX Linux for awhile and to be honest both do what I need to do and do it well I like them both.

The only difference I can really find is MX Linux is a colorful Linux Distro and Linux Mint is that same old dull boring green blah.

Both are good imo.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:20 AM

Hopefully MX Linux will be better than the older MX-14. We once had a member with '19 years of Linux experience' who used to be quite active here, he was pushing MX-14 as though the best thing since sliced bread became standard. :P

Of course, that's been 3-4 years back, times has changed & MX Linux may well have improved a lot. Last time I tried it was a couple years back on an ancient IBM T42 notebook (non-PAE version), while I forget the version number, there were improvements, just not enough to get me away from Mint 17 LTS. Part of the issue when switching from one Linux distro to the next is that it has to be outstanding & comparatively easy to use. Kind of like when Rocky Bennett introduced us to Linspire, still based from Ubuntu & any Mint user can dive right in & feel at home in little time. Some may see improvements because of the Xfce DE. 

I'll happily give Linux MX a shot in a VM to see how the distro compares to when born as MX-14. More on the history of Linux MX, this shows that MX-14 (PAE & non-PAE) were the first versions. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_Linux

One of the positives are that it's built on stable Debian, the foundation that Ubuntu also uses and MX Linux is a midweight desktop. So the support should be fairly decent. 

https://mxlinux.org/

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:35 AM

Hopefully MX Linux will be better than the older MX-14. We once had a member with '19 years of Linux experience' who used to be quite active here, he was pushing MX-14 as though the best thing since sliced bread became standard. :P

Cat

Hey cat1092,

First off Ain't no one shoving or pushing or promoting any particular Linux Distro.

I've used MX Linux since MX14 right out of the box and have never had any problems or issues with installations or updates nor have I ever experienced any problems upgrading from version to version.

Linux Mint and MX Linux are both excellent Linux Distros imo.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

Post #3, just being a little pedantic but: With linux mint (MATE in my case) you can change the default colours if you don't like green, there are plenty of options in "control centre--> appearance --> theme" personally I've set mine up with an orange task bar and purple highlighting as it looks better against by choice of background picture and can be clearer to see under some lighting conditions where shades of green may blur together. I increased the default font sizes a bit within another tab of "appearance".
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:12 PM

Cat

Hey cat1092,

First off Ain't no one shoving or pushing or promoting any particular Linux Distro.

The-Toolman, I never said you were, was speaking about a member long ago (whom some of us remembers :P) who was pushing MX-14 like mad when released. MX Linux is simply rebranded. 

Of course, that was then & this is today, it's my hope that MX Linux has improved greatly since originally released as MX-14. :) 

I'll take MX Linux for a spin in a VM & find out which is better for me. With over 300 (known) distros & counting, there's no 'one size fits all' with Linux. Some may not care for either Linux Mint nor MX Linux at all. 

It would be great for MX Linux to have improved over time, being Debian based, should be different from Linux Mint (surely you recall how the LMDE installs went :P). Although the install process will have to be learned the Debian way, this is the cool thing about a VM, can do the auto method & be done with it. Then if one desires to install, will figure out how to get the ball rolling. I always recommend installing in a VM first, unless the person has a spare HDD/SSD to use for a new distro, in that case, the installed & others can be removed/unplugged & then proceed with the MX Linux install. Should it not be wanted, no sweat. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

Yeah I'm always going to play around with the color schemes but haven't yet.

Excuses Right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was wanting to make it clear I'm not promoting.

As for installing it's just plain simple slip the disc in and restart and follow the prompts ain't no different than Linux Mint installs. :thumbup2:

MX Linux isn't an abomination like LMDE which comes up with every reason and error not to install.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if one is any better than the other because for me both work great and both are Xfce GUI / Desktop and just plain work great just built from different bases.

Edited by The-Toolman, 08 April 2018 - 05:57 PM.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

Yeah I'm always going to play around with the color schemes but haven't yet.

I don't care so much about the color scheme, as long as the distro runs OK. One can usually change the color some, or switch to a different wallpaper. :thumbup2:

Cat

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,163 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

I tried MX-14 at the time and didn't think much of it, but I do like antiX and Debian Stable so decided to give this a try on my HP-15 laptop.

It just so happens I also have Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 installed on another partition.

The only problem I have with Mint Cinnamon is that it won't connect to my Blue tooth speaker - apparently it's not uncommon for Mint Cinnamon to have problems connecting to Blue tooth devices.

MX-17 connected to my Bluetooth speaker no problem, which seemed like a good start. Problems I did have were:

1) The Display Settings wouldn't allow me to have my primary monitor to the right of the secondary monitor, to match my physical set-up.
2) Display Settings would not persist through reboots.
3) While fiddling with the above, sound through HDMI output switched off and would not switch back on again.
I may (or may not) be able to fix some or all of the above with more messing around, but with Linux Mint I didn't have to.

Here's a screen shot anyway:

mx-17.png

Edited by Al1000, 13 April 2018 - 04:49 PM.

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:57 AM

Hey Al1000,

That's is one thing I have yet to try with any Linux Distro was running dual monitors.

Yeah most desktop computers I've installed MX 17 on has worked pretty well without problems.

I did try MX 17 on a Dell laptop and everything worked well except the mouse pad was really squirrely.

I'm also a fan of Antix and Debian.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:38 AM

It just so happens I also have Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 installed on another partition.

The only problem I have with Mint Cinnamon is that it won't connect to my Blue tooth speaker - apparently it's not uncommon for Mint Cinnamon to have problems connecting to Blue tooth devices.

This issue isn't restricted to Mint Cinnamon, MATE as well. :(

Tried transferring some pics from my cell phone with BT to my PC with the same, had difficulties with the connection, even though there's an active BT icon in the right side of Panel. 

Have an older notebook that shipped with the Windows 7 release that I can try Linux MX on, will work on that over the weekend. After I swap the HDD from a sloe 5400 rpm one to a WD Black running at 7200 rpm & more cache. The notebook, an HP dv4-2058nr, with 4GB DDR2 RAM & low end AMD hardware, needs all of the help it can get. :P

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv4-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/4031721/model/4057203

Surely Linux MX will perform a lot better than Windows 7 on the model, have to see what works & doesn't afterwards. I too would love to have a Debian distro in my stable (provided all OEM hardware works), just in case Team Shuttleworth gets too cozy with Microsoft & sells the rights of Ubuntu to them. Better to learn now than when forced to.

Cat

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,163 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

@ Toolman

I get the impression that 'buntu developers pay more attention to things like running dual monitors, perhaps because they reckon a greater proportion of 'buntu users will want to do so, but of course the trade-off is that you end up with a bigger and slower distro. I used to use antiX-16 on an old PB laptop that's now too slow running modern internet browsers etc, to be of much use, and thought it (antiX) was fantastic at the time. I never did want to use a second monitor with it though, as it was slow enough with just the one.

It goes to show how much what distro is most suitable, depends on what you use your computer for. This HP laptop is mostly used for streaming youtube, so my TV is pretty much permanently plugged in.

@ Cat

Thanks for the info re Mint MATE. I suspected it (and the other 'flavours' KDE and Xfce), might have the same problem, but Cinnamon is the only one I've tried to use my Bluetooth speaker with.

Presuming you don't want to use dual monitors on the laptop you mention, hopefully MX-17 will work for you. :)

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:05 PM

@Al1000

I wound up installing Linux Mint 18 Xfce on the laptop as the mouse / touch pad worked a lot better and didn't bounce all over the screen.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users