Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor will display image after removing CMOS - "No signal detected" otherwise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maskeren

Maskeren

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Hey, everyone.

New to the forums, so wasn't sure where to post this. Apologies if it's incorrectly labeled.

I have a rather specific issue regarding my PC. A few weeks back, I slipped while carrying my desktop. It took a blow, but I thought of nothing of it since it seemed minor.

Three weeks later, I start it up and get a "No signal detected" on my monitor. So, I bought a new motherboard and PSU. This fixed the issue at first (Windows ran like a charm) but upon cycling power, I have ran into the issue again.

I took out the CMOS and left it out for a few minutes and after putting it back in I got a signal to my monitor that brought me to the BIOS restore. However, upon exiting this restore process, and trying to get back to the login, 'No signal detected' happened again.

So, my question is this. What could the issue be? The PC clearly runs and gets past POST (I would argue it can even get to the login screen just fine). The graphics card can display an image (BIOS restore). Mobo and PSU are brand new. So, why am I not getting display when I try to get into Windows outside of anything but reseting the CMOS? And why was it working previous to cycling power?

Any input would be appreciated.

Relevant specs are:
AMD 6350 CPU
GeForce GTX 1050
16 GB DDR 3 RAM
X2 500 Toshiba HDD's (one of which is the boot drive)
120 GB SanDisk SSD
ASUS monitor

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Maskeren

Maskeren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

Well, I know it's kind of pathetic, but I'm going to answer my own question and leave the answer here in case anyone else has this *very* precise issue. The problem wasn't in the computer, but in the power outlet apparently. After switching outlets, the PC displays image just fine. If I had to guess, the outlet is malfunctioning and cannot provide the computer the power it needed to supply the graphics card with enough juice to produce image - a longshot, but my best guess. 

Feel free to remove or close this post - sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

Edited by Maskeren, 07 April 2018 - 11:33 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

The post will not be deleted and BC does not normally close posts. This was actually nice troubleshooting and will help other people realize that anything can happen. It's a computer after all.  :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

Agreed...nice troubleshooting, thanks for keeping us informed.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users