Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 suddenly booting to temporary profile, or saying profile is locked

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 homercrispy

homercrispy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

over the last 2 days, 4 of my windows 7 computers have stopped booting properly.  as stated above, some boot into a temporary profile, others boot to a locked profile screen. some are windows 7 home some are pro.  i have also seen another 4 or 5 computers with the same problem.  All computers are current in their updates, and it appears that a recent windows update has caused this problem.  I am able to restore them to a previous date and some work fine afterwards, but some will repeat the error occasionally.  i have run combofix and glary utilities on them but are not confident that they will continue to boot.

any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

If you have multiple systems reflecting similar/same problems...it's highly unlikely, IMO, that you should be thinking anything other than "malware."

It also appears to me that any attempted resolution of a non-malware issue...has to focus on a single computer at a time.

Louis

#3 5h1nj1

5h1nj1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

I had a post here about the exact same problem, complementing the information provided by the OP. My post is now gone. Was that an error in the forums or was it deleted deliberately by someone without any notice?

This is a new issue, which appeared lately on many machines and needs to be researched. Most likely it's NOT malware. Can someone help?

#4 kannix

kannix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:41 AM

We're having the exact same problem on several computers of our customers since friday.

On these systems we nailed it down to Microsoft Security Essentials as being the reason, most probably the latest engine security update.

It's not happening with other malware scanners for us.

It is most likely to happen on slower computers (no ssd) with automatic login.

Disabling Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't help, only uninstalling.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

Please...this topic is an effort by the OP...to get his issues resolved.  It is NOT a topic created for everyone to pile on with comments about her/his own problems, whether similar/same or not.  It's simple enough for any member...to initiate a topic where her/his own system issues...can be explored by the BC membership.  Please...respect the fact that the OP initiated this topic...to focus on his issues.

Sh1nj1:  A topic was created for your issues:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/675082/malware-check-pllease/ .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 April 2018 - 06:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users