Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This page isnít working

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

This is what I'm seeing when trying to log onto the HP Forums.

This page isn’t working
If the problem continues, contact the site owner.
HTTP ERROR 431

This is what I get when searching google:

The HTTP 431 Request Header Fields Too Large response status code indicates that the server is unwilling to process the request because its header fields are too large. ... It can be used when the total number of request header fields is too large, or when a single header field is at too large.

Is this issue on my end? 

I've disabled AddBlockers, am running Chrome and don't have anything else enabled.  I do have all Google Docs, Sheets, Slides etc. all Disabled but don't think that would cause any issues like this.  This is not the first time I've had issues with HP Forums, actually happens often for me.  I think it's just HP

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:46 AM

Is this where you are heading to?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

Yep, still can't get in can you?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Yes I can get there.

Perhaps due to your location?

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

I need some advanced help I think.  This has been a problem for a long time now.  I wonder if I should take this to the Networking section?  I will go look to see if there is a better section.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

I'll repeat the same advice I just gave someone else, because it can cure "a multitude of sins."   If you haven't cleared your browser cache in some period of time do so then see if that causes the problem to disappear.

P.S.:  I can get to that site without issue.

Edited by britechguy, 08 April 2018 - 09:52 AM.
Added P.S.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:44 PM

Well, that's so funny you suggested that Bri, that is what I did and it fixed it.  I've been neglecting my system and really still learning how to maintain it.  I will keep up on this from now on.  Sometimes when I do so I lose info I do not want to lose - browsing info - so have been hesitant to do so for some time now.  One day will study up on how to do this without losing the info that makes browsing smooth for me.

Thanks Britechguy

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:02 PM

pcpunk,

There is generally no downside to clearing browser cache, and I emphasize cache, as opposed to cookies and browsing history.  I very seldom clear my cookies these days and rely on having a long and deep browsing history.   I have purged both in the past but feel the effects for weeks afterward.  The same is not true of browser cache.

I really prefer to use CCleaner to do this because the cleaner function gives very fine control over what one chooses to purge/keep.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:05 AM

Thanks again for this Bri, I'm still an infant in the Tech community.  So in Chrome it would be only "Cached images and files" that you would Clear?  I do like the idea of using CCleaner but all the terminology is what trips me up.  I also had a bad experience with CCleaner recently, but only that one.  I won't tell you what I did in fear of embarrassment :oopsign:

I've used CCleaner during malware cleanup etc. but should really try and use it more.  And, I really love Piriform!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

The browser cache is useful to speed up your browsing, as the browser keeps information it needs to connect faster to the pages you've visited before. With time though, this cache can grow significantly and may cause the opposite effect. I only clear cache when something's not right. Otherwise, I keep it.

Edited by Phantom010, 09 April 2018 - 08:59 AM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

The browser cache is useful to speed up your browsing, as the browser keeps information it needs to connect faster to the pages you've visited before. With time though, this cache can grow significantly and may cause the opposite effect. I only clear cache when something's not right. Otherwise, I keep it.

I do a very occasional cache cleaning since the vast majority of my web browsing involved "one and done" visits to many websites.  The rebuilding of cache for the places I frequent slows things down so trivially that it doesn't concern me.

But I, like you, don't clear it otherwise unless something's not right.  And "something not right" is what triggered this discussion.

~ Lauren Bacall

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:49 AM

I had lots of junk that's for sure, it took like 3-4 minutes to delete it all.  I also Deleted multiple HP Forum Site login Password Entries in Chrome that I don't think were needed, and only kept the one that had the correct web address for the Forums.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

I do a very occasional cache cleaning since the vast majority of my web browsing involved "one and done" visits to many websites.  The rebuilding of cache for the places I frequent slows things down so trivially that it doesn't concern me.

But I, like you, don't clear it otherwise unless something's not right.  And "something not right" is what triggered this discussion.

My intent was not to question your advice. I only wish to advise users in general to be careful with what they clear with programs like CCleaner. Some tick all boxes and click "Run" without first making sure it's safe.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

pcpunk,

One of the reasons I seldom use the browser specific clear functions is that, relatively speaking, they take *forever* even to clear very little.   I also like doing all of my cleaning, when I wish to do it, in one fell swoop.

~ Lauren Bacall

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

My intent was not to question your advice. I only wish to advise users in general to be careful with what they clear with programs like CCleaner. Some tick all boxes and click "Run" without first making sure it's safe.

And on that we're entirely in agreement.   It has been said, many many times, by me and others that no one should ever use the registry cleaner option of CCleaner (or any other registry cleaner).

I thought at one point that I had posted my CCleaner screens and done an "item by item" explanation of what to check or not check and why, but perhaps not.  Of course, each person may want something checked that I don't and vice versa, but knowing what each item does is useful (and sometimes not easy to determine).

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users