Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Access To Computer After Windows 10 Update

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Marek_Wes

Marek_Wes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

Dear All,

Thank you for reading this.  Hope you can help me.  At present, I have a problem with my Asus laptop.  It is not starting properly.  I have used it for 2 years, without a problem.  This is what happens when I would start up. 

1.  I switch the Asus laptop on.
  2. I see the Asus logo, and wait.
  3. A blue box comes up, saying ‘Enter Password’.
  4. I enter the password, as required.

At this point, the laptop usually goes onto the Windows Entry Screen, showing me the picture of a window in Windows 10.  I can then usually go to my account  in Windows 10.

Now, however, I do not get to the Windows Entry Screen.  Instead, I see a red box, saying the following:

(at the top)                         Secure Boot Violation

(text)           Invalid Signature Detected.  Check Scure Boot Policy

Once this message is shown, I get no further. 

The last thing I did was to update Windows 10.  After this, I saw the red box.  Does anybody have any suggestions to get around this problem, please?.

Edited by britechguy, 07 April 2018 - 08:54 AM.
Moved to BSOD/Hangs since it seems a "best fit" here rather than general Win10 support. Will move again if necessary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

boot from a windows 10 install cd or usb....if you dont have one....make one,

then....do a system restore to a date previous of this problem

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:06 AM

This sounds like the Windows 10 certificate for SecureBoot is corrupted. If you enter UEFI and disable SecureBoot can you boot into Windows. The key to access your UEFI settings at boot could be F2, F9, or Del. It should show this on the boot screen.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#4 Marek_Wes

Marek_Wes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your replies.  I have now changed the BIOS, but am now seeing a screen, which asks me to insert a cd or dvd in order to recover from the error.  How can I download a Windows 10 system disk to a USB stick?  When my friend originally got the laptop, it came with Windows 7 already installed, and no recovery cd.  Do I need some kind of key?

Marek_Wes

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

Because the computer was upgraded to Windows 10 the license is digital and stored on Microsoft servers tied to your hardware ID. When Windows 10 is reinstalled it will auto activate. If your computer was originally installed with Windows 7 then it should not have had the SecureBoot option in your UEFI settings unless the computer was installed with Windows 8 and downgraded to Windows 7. SecureBoot was only offered on computer's from Windows 8 and up.

You can create a Windows 10 install DVD using the Media Creation Tool on any Windows 7 or later computer.

If you have backed up your data I would recommend doing a clean install using the below guide. All your programs would of course need to be reinstalled. Upgrading from one OS to an entirely new OS is not the best option and I don't know why Microsoft offered it. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/?p=4419457

#6 Marek_Wes

Marek_Wes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

Dear JohnC-21,

Thank you very much for your reply.  Can I just double-check, please?  When I get into my machine now, I get a light-blue screen.  It has writing in white type. 

• The title says Recovery.  It goes on to say Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. 
  • Next line says The digital signature for th
  • is file could not be verified. 
  • Next line says Error code OxcOOOO428. 
  • Next line says You will need to use recovery tools. 
  • Next line says Press f1 to enter recovery 
  •  Next line says Press Esc for UEFI settings. So

So, from here, I need to follow your instructions to create a bootable USB?

Yours

Marek_Wes

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

You need to access another computer, Windows 7 or later, and run the Media Creation Tool. 

What happens when you press F1 to enter recovery? Does it give an option to do a startup recovery?

Do you need to recover data off the hard drive?

#8 Marek_Wes

Marek_Wes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

Dear JohnC_21,

Thank you for your reply.  When I press f1, the machine goes back to the start almost, asking me for a password.  No, I do not need to recover anything from the hard drive.  I would simplyhope that I can get this computer started again!

Yours Faithfully,

Marek_Wes

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

Quick way if it works:

Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Select Reset with the option to remove everything.

If the above does not work you will need to create a bootable USB on another computer per the guide I linked to and do a clean install. If the computer shows SecureBoot in your UEFI settings then use the convert gpt command shown in the guide.

#10 Marek_Wes

Marek_Wes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Dear JohnC_21,

Thank you for your e-mail.  I think there has been a slight misunderstanding here.  According to your last post, you think I am able to get to the rotating star.  I am not able to get to this.  I will describe as best as I can what happens on my computer.  I would simply like to boot up the computer, with Windows 10.  I did not have anything valueable on the original, anyway, so I just use a few programs to keep the security tight on the computer.  

When I switch on the computer, it prompts me for a password.  I enter on my Admin. password.  After that, I see the light-blue screen, with white typing, as described in my last-but-1 email.  At this point, I am stuck.  What I would ask is, if I follow your guidance to do a clean install, will I get access back to Windows 10?  Hopefully, the answer is yes,

Yours

Marek_Wes

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

In my post #5 I provided a link on doing a clean install. The post explains how to download and create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive of a Windows 10 install disk. If this is not a hardware problem then the clean install will get you back up and running.

Because you have Windows 10 it will automatically activate.

#12 Marek_Wes

Marek_Wes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:30 AM

Dear JohnC_21,

Thank you for your post.  May I just ask about the USB memory stick used to boot Windows 10.  How big does this memory stick need to be?

Yours

MARED_WES

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

The flash drive should be at least 8GB.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk