Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to see and detect bandwidth use by internet users

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ronin63

Ronin63

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:26 PM

Good afternoon everyone!
I think my question is simple. I have a Netgear Nighthawk AX2600 router i use for a apartment, i share with friends. But,,lately,,the internet speed has slowed considerably, i think some people are tech savvy, and know how to manipulate the router ...or something...to give themselves/ their computers more bandwith,,cause my laptop goes to a crawl sometimes.

Can i do something so they can't hog all the bandwidth??? I would've googled my question,,but i'm not sure how to word the question. 

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

More users the less band width for each, when everyone is on things get slow.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Ronin63

Ronin63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:17 AM

I have a feeling that someone that is very tech savvy, knows how to bump up the bandwidth for their computer, resulting in lower bandwidth for everyone else. The apartment we share, always had the same amount of people. Now, a new guys lives here, that teaches computer programming or something like that. 

Isn't there a way people can do that,,so that they can increase bandwidth to their own  computer, and not allow the rest of us, to be able to access as much?? 

#4 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:00 AM

Hi, Ronin63,

If someone is using a lot of bandwidth themselves, then it will, of course, decrease the amount of bandwidth available for other users. And, as OldPhil said, adding another person would mean that the same amount of bandwidth must be divided between more people.

Concerning whether or not it's possible to increase bandwidth on a computer. I think it may be just an issue with having a lot of people on the same network, and, depending on what people are doing on it (e.g., heavy downloading, lots of streaming, etc.) there just may not be enough bandwidth to go around. But you may want to look into Quality of Service. An article on that with Netgear is here. But know that I am not suggesting you use that so as to give yourself more bandwidth, as that could potentially be a bad idea, given you are all sharing the network. Doing that sounds to me like it would only lead to conflicts.

The best solution is probably to just talk to the people that you live with and try to come up with a way that not everyone is using all the bandwidth at once.

Hope this helps.

Sasschary

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#5 Ronin63

Ronin63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:16 AM

Thank you for your input, Sasschary!

How about this scenario..without creating drama,,would i be able to restrict internet bandwidth by restricting it to an equal portion among each user??

#6 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:29 PM

If you follow the guide Sasschary included and go turn on QoS and set all devices to normal priority the router should ensure that everyone gets a more or less equal part of the internet. But high load always equals to problems with the net and when everyone is on it trying to do stuff it's more or less unavoidable that you'll experience a slower net. QoS should help against if someone is trying to hog all the bandwidth though.

The drawback of setting a max bandwidth usage would be that neither of you can utilize the full speed of the net even for short bursts such as loading a web-page so I'd start with just using QoS if I were you and then talk to everyone about respecting the needs of others while on a shared network, maybe setup some rules about what's allowed. Also, when someone is alone on the net, they would not be able to use the full speed to quickly download something before everyone else gets home.

Also, go change the password for the router since Netgears default is admin - password. So it's not easy for anyone to log in and set QoS on their computer to higher. - If you find that it's already enabled, just figure out what computer is set to high priority and where that computer is connected and you've found that someone who has set rules to give themselves more then the rest.

However, your problem is most likely a result of there being less bandwidth then is required for everyone to do all that they want.

Ex. Streaming in 60FPS 1080P can use upwards of 10 mbit/sec depending on bit rate. If everyone is trying to watch at the same time at that quality you'd need 40 mbit/sec + download speed.

Here's some more info about setting up QoS

https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

P.S. I do not claim to be an expert at this, just trying to help you as best as I can.

Edited by Vicin, 08 April 2018 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users