Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Cleanup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmlewis35

cmlewis35

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

Hello

On running clean up system files there was 8.07gb of space that could be freed up as a result of the cleanup of Windows Update Files.  I set it to clean up these files which it did however it made no difference to the free space on the hard drive.  Why was this?  Why did it not free up the 8gb of space please? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:09 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

I am not hugely familiar with the workings of Win 10 but it is common for 'deleted' files to be placed in the recycle bin just in case your change your mind. Have you tried emptying the recycle bin ?  Files placed in there are not in fact deleted until you 'empty' it.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 cmlewis35

cmlewis35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

Yes recycle bin has been emptied

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

Hi, did you restart the computer? Winsxs files will delete on reboot.

#5 cmlewis35

cmlewis35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:32 AM

Yes I did restart the computer

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:41 AM

Hi, not sure, this is a first for me, open a cmd prompt as admin and copy paste the following cmd, let it run,  make sure you check the boxes you want data removed from. Be patient this can take awhile just leave it to run until the cmd is back at the prompt.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users