Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reduced Functionality

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pbracing33b

pbracing33b

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hello,

We are a very small business and all of our computers are running windows 7 pro. We keep running into this reduced functionality mode error. On some computers combofix works great. But on others we can't seem to get them to run no matter what. I personally have wiped the hard drive and reinstalled the software and I would still get the error. After doing some research on this it sounds like there could be some old registry files that get stuck in the system and is very difficult to remove. If we could find those I have no problem going in and either fixing them or deleting them. The issue is finding them.

The thing is we are having this issue with multiple computers. I personally have used combofix before I even started working here and never had any problems until now.

Oh and we do have the latest version of combofix, so I know that isn't the problem.

I have also seen it where combofix will work fine the first time around. But on the second time around combofix won't work.

Is there any real solutions to this problem?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

Just a question, are they all networked, if so it may be an issue with the network.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

If you zero wiped the drive then there is no possibility you would have any registry items left on the disk. ComboFix is normally run to scan for and remove malware. I was under the impression that the reduced functionality error was Vista OS specific. Did these computers once have Vista as an OS?

#4 pbracing33b

pbracing33b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:03 AM

Nope, on all the above (Except for yes these are networked computers). I wanna know why when I wipe a hard drive, I still get the reduced functionality error. To me combofix has become unreliable to resolve malware. We have started to use bitdefender and that seems to be way more reliable than combofix. We are a Win7 shop and we have never ever used anything else. I was hoping to see a response from one of their so called experts on this matter, but it seems they are all quiet. Its sad that they don't keep combofix up to date for all OS's. Because it used to be really good, but now it seems mediocre at best. Combofix is great when it works, but now it just seems to unreliable. Plus I have read on forum across forum where many people has this issue. I like most of them thought it was malware that was stopping combofix to run. But after wiping hard drives on a couple of computers and retesting to see if it would run and I get the same exact error tells me that combofix is now unreliable as a malware removal tool and should not be trusted.  

Edited by pbracing33b, 11 April 2018 - 02:05 AM.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:16 AM

What is the exact context of the reduced functionality mode error or post a screenshot of same.

When you say "we can't seem to get them to run no matter what" what does that mean - run what or what is not running?

I've never seen the issue but some Googling reveals that at least in Windows Vista and maybe later versions if the installation appeared to not be authenticated properly Windows would drop into a reduced functionality mode with various symptoms, timeouts, limitations.

For example:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/925582/description-of-the-behavior-of-reduced-functionality-mode-in-windows-v

Is the affliction accompanied by any other messages about Windows not being genuine or activation period expired?

If you check the system Properties does the system show being activated:

[attachment=203891:Untitled.jpg]

Here is one article that tells you how to check if your installation is successfully activated:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/check-if-windows-7-is-genuine/

When you performed some Google searches about the error message did none of the articles you read sound like the issue?

Edited by joseibarra, 11 April 2018 - 02:17 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 pbracing33b

pbracing33b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

Nope on the Vista, and I would say no on the second as we either do the recovery mode. Or a windows 7 disk given to us by HP. Microsoft would definitely tell you if you don't have a genuine edition as it will change the background or it will say this is not a genuine copy of Windows. So no to both.

So basically what is happening is I right click Combofix.exe and select Run as Administrator. Combofix will then attempt to run for a few seconds then come back with a pop-up Window, that states do you want to run in Reduce Functionality mode. If you select yes it will delete the program (which when this was first happening, I thought this was malware) but if I select no then it won't delete combofix and it will just shut the program down. This has happened to me on at least a dozen or more computers. So I have seen it plenty of times. On some computers Combofix will run just fine then others combofix won't run at all even after wiping the hard drive. 

I have researched this problem pretty intently and I have not found a solid solution. My best guess is combofix is lacking updates and needs to be updated.

Edited by hamluis, 12 April 2018 - 06:26 AM.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

i read that to as your reduced functionality mode is coming from CombFix and not Windows and don't understand how you can expect to run ComboFix even after wiping the hard drive.

I don't know enough about ComboxFix to interpret that reply but maybe somebody else does.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users