Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 18.3 Issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

Hello All,

I have been having an issue with my mint!  I have a this on a laptop, witch when it is running runs great!  Here is my issue.  My laptop will randomly just go "blank", what I mean by this is the screen goes black.  This only happens when I have been away for a while.  Now it is still on I see the num lock light on but that is about all.  I have to power down by holding the power button for 30 seconds then it boots up just fine.  The only things that I have installed is conky, teamviewer, TLP, Laptop Mode Tools (following this guide https://www.ubuntupit.com/top-10-best-things-installing-linux-mint-18-3-sylvia/)     

I have also disabled the hibernate because this is being run on a SSD.  Not sure if I need to scrap this install and start over just in case if I messed something up?  This is incredibly frustrating, as this has become an unreliable computer.  I have tried everything from never putting it to sleep when power is plugged in, and change the conf file to do nothing when I close the lid of the laptop.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated!

Thanks

TheJokerz

Edited by TheJokerz, 06 April 2018 - 01:18 PM.

utl8q0-5.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

Which Desktop Environment of Mint?

Are you sure it is not going to Sleep, or just going to a Black Screen as a Screen Saver?

If it is going to Sleep, I believe that you can just push the power button for a couple of seconds and then let it go and it should come back to life.  If just Screen Saver, then just hit a key, like the Spacebar and it should come back to life.

The age of your hardware may be an issue also, will you post your inxi -Fxz output?

Edited by pcpunk, 06 April 2018 - 03:42 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

Possibly going to hibernation ?

from THIS PAGE

(the rest of the suggestions are well worth reading/implementing )

Disable hibernation (suspend-to-disk)

2.4. Unfortunately, "hibernate" (suspend-to-disk) is enabled by default in Linux Mint. Which is rather surprising, because in Ubuntu it's disabled by default...

This aggressive sleep mode often leads to problems, because most manufacturers of BIOS and UEFI don't stick to the standards for implementing power saving. So your computer may experience malfunctions after waking up, or even enter a coma from which it can't awake at all.

It's therefore best to disable hibernation.

Note: the sleep mode "suspend" (suspend-to-ram) is much less aggressive and therefore far less likely to cause problems.

You can disable hibernation (suspend-to-disk) like this:

a. Menu - Administration - Terminal

b. Copy the following command line and paste it into the terminal, in order to avoid typing errors (this is one line):

sudo mv -v /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla /

Press Enter and submit your password. Please note that the password will remain invisible, not even asterisks will show, which is normal.

With that, you've moved the settings file that enables hibernation, to the main directory / (root). Thus rendering it ineffective. The new location is a safe storage, from which you can retrieve it again, should you ever wish to restore hibernation.

c. Reboot your computer. Hibernation should now no longer be one of the options in the shutdown menu.

(with thanks to riffbiker from the Linux Mint forum)

d. On a laptop, it's advisable to check the power manager settings: you'll have to select alternatives for hibernation now, for actions like closing the lid...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:29 PM

I have also disabled the hibernate because this is being run on a SSD. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:42 PM

oops ~!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 TheJokerz

TheJokerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:07 AM

I am using cinnamon, sorry for the delay.  I actually came home yesterday and it had crashed again.  So I still had the usb from when I installed the first time, so I just did a fresh install.  So far I just disabled the hibernation from the gui as apposed to moving the conf file.  It was on all night and was still on this morning when I woke up.  The only things that I installed lastnight was chrome and changed the theme.  Fingers crossed so far so good!  The only thing that I can think is because I moved the file that told the os to hibernate was moved and it did not like that?  I will see over the next couple of days and see if it is still crashing.

Thanks for all the help!

utl8q0-5.png

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:34 AM

"...I moved the file that told the os to hibernate was moved and it did not like that?..."

Quite possibly. Do you remember what file you moved and where you moved it to?

#8 TheJokerz

TheJokerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

I am 99% I did what Condobloke had suggested, the site he put is the same site I used to do the things that I did and mint did not like it.  I had it all documented on my previous install just in case something like that happened.  How ever I did not know how to recover from it booting into the command line as apposed to the desktop, I think the install finally was corrupt.  That is why I just did a fresh install last night.

utl8q0-5.png

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:53 AM

How ever I did not know how to recover from it.......just to help you guard against this occurrence......

TIMESHIFT
Click on menu and type in ...   Timeshift

you will be asked/prompted for your password.....type it in....you will see NO responss on the screen...hit enter after typing it and Timeshift will open

Click on    Settings

If you have more than one hard drive connected they will show here.....(IDEALLY USE A 2nd HARD DRIVE OR AN EXTERNAL HD

select the one you wish to save your backup to....then click on     close.  ((You can save it to the same hardrive/ssd the OS is on. It makes better sense to save it to another hdd/ssd in my opinion. If you dont have another hdd/sdd installed you can always do that later....put it on the list of things to do. (yes...keep a list)....or if you have an external hard drive which you can connect via usb, plug it in....close timehsift and then open it again...it will recognise the added drive))

You will now be back at the main window of Timeshift

Click on      Create

Timeshift will simply start making a snapshot of your system as it is right now. It will save that snapshot to the spot you chose.

Simple. (and it works)

TO RESTORE AFTER A MISHAP>>>>

Click on menu....type timehsift......click on the saved 'snapshot' you wuish to restore.......and then click on   'RESTORE"

There a few prompts to follow...very syraightforward.....thr whole process should take no longer than 5 minutes

If the "mishap" is somewhat more severe.......have your usb with linux mint on it handy....pkug in the external hdd...boot to the usb stick with linux mint on it....follow the procedure to hit menu...type in timeshift etc etc.....and you will obtain the same result. Reboot...take the usb drive out....and all is good

Edited by Condobloke, 07 April 2018 - 06:58 AM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:01 AM

I had it all documented on my previous install just in case something like that happened.  However I did not know how to recover from it booting into the command line as opposed to the desktop, I think the install finally was corrupt.  That is why I just did a fresh install last night.

You could have simply booted the Linux Live Session and Recovered you files.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 TheJokerz

TheJokerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

I had it all documented on my previous install just in case something like that happened.  However I did not know how to recover from it booting into the command line as opposed to the desktop, I think the install finally was corrupt.  That is why I just did a fresh install last night.

You could have simply booted the Linux Live Session and Recovered you files.

Lol I figured there was a way to recover, I was in a pinch!  I also did not lose much other than a little time invested setting up mint!

How ever I did not know how to recover from it.......just to help you guard against this occurrence......

TIMESHIFT
Click on menu and type in ...   Timeshift

you will be asked/prompted for your password.....type it in....you will see NO responss on the screen...hit enter after typing it and Timeshift will open

Click on    Settings

If you have more than one hard drive connected they will show here.....(IDEALLY USE A 2nd HARD DRIVE OR AN EXTERNAL HD

select the one you wish to save your backup to....then click on     close.  ((You can save it to the same hardrive/ssd the OS is on. It makes better sense to save it to another hdd/ssd in my opinion. If you dont have another hdd/sdd installed you can always do that later....put it on the list of things to do. (yes...keep a list)....or if you have an external hard drive which you can connect via usb, plug it in....close timehsift and then open it again...it will recognise the added drive))

You will now be back at the main window of Timeshift

Click on      Create

Timeshift will simply start making a snapshot of your system as it is right now. It will save that snapshot to the spot you chose.

Simple. (and it works)

TO RESTORE AFTER A MISHAP>>>>

Click on menu....type timehsift......click on the saved 'snapshot' you wuish to restore.......and then click on   'RESTORE"

There a few prompts to follow...very syraightforward.....thr whole process should take no longer than 5 minutes

If the "mishap" is somewhat more severe.......have your usb with linux mint on it handy....pkug in the external hdd...boot to the usb stick with linux mint on it....follow the procedure to hit menu...type in timeshift etc etc.....and you will obtain the same result. Reboot...take the usb drive out....and all is good

Good to know I just need create a spot on my freenas to store this, as I am only running this on a 120GB SSD.  

Thanks again you two for your advice and help!  I am not exactly brand new to linux but there is a whole gang load of information that I can learn!

utl8q0-5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users