Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Web Browser after August 2018 for Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sampei_Nihira

Sampei_Nihira

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

What will be your choice?

Please motivate your choice.

TH.

For me New Moon (fork Pale Moon by Roytam1) or Basilisk52.

Other options are:

- Advanced Chrome Custom Build.

- K-Meleon Goanna (fork by Roytam1)

Edited by hamluis, 06 April 2018 - 01:13 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsintg/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

No chance yet to find and try "Advanced Chrome".  

K-Meleon was useless.

Those( really, "it") tried on Windows Vista.

What I found good for Windows Vista were SlimJet 11,  Pale Moon 27.whatever, and maybe at least for speed and reliability for MOST things, Opera 36.

#3 Sampei_Nihira

Sampei_Nihira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:06 AM

Advanced Chrome Custom Build:

http://browser.taokaizen.com/

New Moon,Basilisk,K-Meleon:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=44

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:57 AM

Thanks for the information Sampei Nihira.

I did a web search and also found the site for Advanced Chrome.  I tried installing it but  Norton Security removed some parts so I could not try the browser.  

I'll have to read more about New Moon, and Basilisk.  As I best understand, Basilisk is not yet finished being developed.  So try?  Maybe, maybe not.  More searching and reading needed, first.  I know there is a section on a forum for Basilisk.  New Moon?  Need more reading.

As for Advanced Chrome, that was what I wanted to try on the Vista machine.  No point in trying it on the Windows 10 machine, since Firefox 59 and Google Chrome 65 work very well on it.

System Intended for Alternative Browsers:

Laptop, 32-bit

Windows Vista, s.p.2

Browsers -- SlimJet 11, Firefox ESR 52.?.?, Opera 36, Pale Moon 27.8.?, Internet Explorer 9

#5 Sampei_Nihira

Sampei_Nihira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:48 AM

:thumbup2:

In New Moon and Basilisk you can enable the internal Canvas Fingerprint protection:

About:config

Canvas.poisondata set to true

Test:

https://browserleaks.com/canvas

If you want some screen of both New Moon (XP) and Basilisk (XP) you can ask without problems.

Edited by Sampei_Nihira, 08 April 2018 - 04:49 AM.

#6 wyxchari

wyxchari

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:23 AM

-X Chrome: 49.0.2623.112 7abr16
= Firefox: 52.9.0esr end 5sep18
= SeaMonkey: FF 52.9.0esr based
=== Mypal: 27.9.4 19jul18 Pale Moon based https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases
=== New Moon: Feodor2 patches based (Mypal) http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser Also versions -SSE2 and -SSE
== Yandex: ruso! similar W8
== Maxthon: chino! 14ago18
= Opera: Chromium 5ago16, only updates of security and crash!
-X Pale Moon: oct16, no XP
-X Chromium: No XP
-X Waterfox: only XPx64, 12jul18
-X Lunascape: 23may12
-X Qt Web Browser: 9sep13
-X Comodo Dragon: Chromium. No updates
-X Ice Dragon: Firefox. No updates
-X Vivaldi: Chromium. No updates
-X Slimbrowser: 11oct17
-? Torch: multimedia Chromium
-? Epic Privacy Browser: Chromium
-? Tor Browser
-X Cometbird: Firefox 1abr12
-X Midori: 30ago15
-X Safari: Mac, no Windows
-X Basilisk: no XP
-X Baidu: 12ago16
-X Chromodo: 5oct16
-X Cyberfox: no XP
-X K-Meleon: no updates
-X Slimjet: 7feb17
-X Avanced Chrome: no updates

Browsers updated currently for XP:
Mypal: github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases
New Moon: rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

FireFox --> Pale Moon --> "Mypal" (XP SSE2) Best
FireFox --> Pale Moon --> Mypal --> "New Moon" (XP SSE2)
FireFox --> Pale Moon --> Mypal --> "New Moon SSE" (XP SSE) I have "Pentium III" and "AMD Athlon XP" working well.
FireFox --> Pale Moon --> Mypal --> "New Moon noSSE" (XP MMX)
Youtube working

Firefox 52.9.0 ESR will receive updates 52.9.x ESR until September 5, 2018.

Since August 2018, Windows XP POSReady updates require SSE2 and no such requirement is notified.
The last valid updates for SSE processors were those of July 2018.

Edited by wyxchari, 21 August 2018 - 05:24 AM.

#7 noina_b

noina_b

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:40 AM

May be we should realize that nowadays Windows XP  out of ledge and incompatible with almost new software , just suggestion. No harm done but if you still use windows XP . I recommend you to change to new one.

#8 alisp

alisp

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:08 AM

Question is, will any browser be secure on XP after this time?  I know a lot of us are very attached to XP - me included - but I think a point has been reached where you need to use something more up-to-date to access the internet.  After all, is your antivirus even secure on XP?  Even BitDefender now says its XP/Vista version is obsolete (despite selling me a downgrade a couple of months after!)

I wouldn't normally recommend a Chromebook to anyone, but it does have certain advantages if you're only concerned with internet browsing, and you could at least download update files for some antivirus programs to it and transfer them across if necessary, thus keeping your XP AV updated without having to connect it to the internet regularly.  (OTOH, even Chromebooks expire - mine now tells me it's not accepting updates)

#9 noina_b

noina_b

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

​

Question is, will any browser be secure on XP after this time?  I know a lot of us are very attached to XP - me included - but I think a point has been reached where you need to use something more up-to-date to access the internet.  After all, is your antivirus even secure on XP?  Even BitDefender now says its XP/Vista version is obsolete (despite selling me a downgrade a couple of months after!)

I wouldn't normally recommend a Chromebook to anyone, but it does have certain advantages if you're only concerned with internet browsing, and you could at least download update files for some antivirus programs to it and transfer them across if necessary, thus keeping your XP AV updated without having to connect it to the internet regularly.  (OTOH, even Chromebooks expire - mine now tells me it's not accepting updates)

I agree

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:56 PM

Question is, will any browser be secure on XP after this time? 

The answer is obvious.

An O/S that has not been supported by its developer...for several years now...cannot be considered "secure" by any but the most arcane standards.  A browser is just another program that depends primarily on the O/S as the first line of security....to conclude that a browser can be "secure" when everything else is "not secure" and to focus on the browser as the key component of the O/S...well, that seems pretty foolish to me...especially in an age where malware has been developed well beyond the capability of Microsoft to generate sufficient security updates to protect the O/S reliably.

Historically...security updates do NOT just address the browser used within an O/S.  They address varied known vulnerabilities...in the O/S.

A security posture by a user...can be thought of as analogous to the security posture of a homeowner.  If the owner closes the front door...but does not lock it...leaves the back door and all windows unlocked...leaves the key in the lock and goes on vacation...the chances of such "security posture" being effective...is virtually nil.

That is the gist of the problem with using XP, IMO.  This focus on the browser used...is misguided, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2018 - 03:15 PM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users