Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The New Mac Pro Promises to be Modular.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:51 AM

It probably won't be available until 2019, but some pre-release material has been distributed by Apple in order to whet the appetite of the entities that would crave this sort of thing...

Here's a pic of the brain of the beast...

macprobrain.jpg 

Now I use PCs, however, I am always hopeful with all of the new technology that's coming out.

According to this article...

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac/best-pro-mac-2018-3661226/

"...Apple has promised that the new Mac Pro will be modular, so we are hoping for a return of the upgradability of the previous generation Mac Pro - this may well be what sets it apart from the iMac Pro. Being able to add new graphics cards and the latest processor down the line is something that Mac professionals have been crying out for since Apple released its current Mac Pro and discontinued the cheese-grater style Mac Pro..."

Any thoughts on the matter?

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2018 - 02:58 PM.
Moved from Buying New to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

Apple didn't say anything about replacing CPU or video card. "Modular" could just mean user can add more HDD's/SSD's and such.

#3 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:02 AM

Apple didn't say anything about replacing CPU or video card. "Modular" could just mean user can add more HDD's/SSD's and such.

Yes, it did... It's right here in the quote I provided...

"...Apple has promised that the new Mac Pro will be modular, so we are hoping for a return of the upgradability of the previous generation Mac Pro - this may well be what sets it apart from the iMac Pro. Being able to add new graphics cards and the latest processor down the line is something that Mac professionals have been crying out for since Apple released its current Mac Pro and discontinued the cheese-grater style Mac Pro..."

Please note the underlined terms....

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:12 PM

"...Apple has promised that the new Mac Pro will be modular, so we are hoping for a return of the upgradability of the previous generation Mac Pro - this may well be what sets it apart from the iMac Pro. Being able to add new graphics cards and the latest processor down the line is something that Mac professionals have been crying out for since Apple released its current Mac Pro and discontinued the cheese-grater style Mac Pro..."

Note bolded and underlined parts. Apple only said it will be modular, nothing else. Rest is Macworlds own interpretation.

#5 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

Note bolded and underlined parts. Apple only said it will be modular, nothing else. Rest is Macworlds own interpretation.

Everyone is missing the point.

I didn't create this thread so everyone would complain about past failures or play linguistic games. Yeah, drillingmachine, technically you are correct, but you are missing the spirit in which I am trying to present this material.

I posted this so that we could speculate about the new possibilities that might be created out of the new developments in the tech world.

What's wrong with a little hope for the future?

Really?

Does everything have to be so skeptical and dark all the time so that one can't envision new possibilities. 

I'm sorry if I bother you, but I would rather be hopeful instead of skeptical.

Instead of talking about the wonderful world of future tech speculation, we are arguing about linguistics.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

No, you are buying into marketing and tech press hype.

Those of us who have been in IT for decades don't get breathless over these sorts of early releases of information.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,884 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:23 PM

While it is good that apple is finally offering something modular, it is going to be not so long after that the rumor of apple going to their own processors again.

One step forward, nine steps back.

Arm may be good but there goes the limited gaming library and compatibility again

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 April 2018 - 10:24 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

britechguy,

You have your opinion, and I support your right for you to have your opinion and express it.

My opinion is different than yours.

I'm not "buying" any marketing hype. It's just that my demeanor differs from yours.

I don't buy Apple, nor do I support them.

However, I really like to speculate with future technology.

I wouldn't consider that "buying into the hype."

It's just that we're approaching the subject differently.

I wish everyone in this forum a happy weekend!  :guitar:

Edited by LeeFitzsimmons, 07 April 2018 - 07:10 AM.

#9 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

While it is good that apple is finally offering something modular, it is going to be not so long after that the rumor of apple going to their own processors again.

One step forward, nine steps back.

Arm may be good but there goes the limited gaming library and compatibility again

But what if Apple's new processors (that are only an imagined concept at this point, as far as I know) are really good?

How do you know for sure the new ones are going to be bad?

Maybe Apple will pull a rabbit out of the hat and shock the world. I know this is not likely, but it could happen...

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Maybe Apple will pull a rabbit out of the hat and shock the world. I know this is not likely, but it could happen...

Which is pretty much what I, and everyone else "opposed" (for lack of a better word) to your enthusiasm has been trying to say.

And I will admit that I have no time nor tolerance for "blue skying" about something at this early stage of the game.  It's all nothing but personal conjecture and until something more solid is announced that's all it is.  

When that rabbit is pulled out of the hat then the discussions become germane and can be quite fun.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

Which is pretty much what I, and everyone else "opposed" (for lack of a better word) to your enthusiasm has been trying to say.

And I will admit that I have no time nor tolerance for "blue skying" about something at this early stage of the game.  It's all nothing but personal conjecture and until something more solid is announced that's all it is.  

When that rabbit is pulled out of the hat then the discussions become germane and can be quite fun.

Sounds great to me... 

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

My question is exactly for that massive amount of money what can an Apple Computer do or do better than any other Computer. :scratchhead:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users