Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive acting strangly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:13 AM

Hi

So I have this laptop that fell down, I replaced its screen, now when I am inside windows the boot time has increased and the wait time as well.
The hard drive utilization is always 99%. It also makes some ticking sounds. So, I concluded a new hard drive is needed.
First I want to make sure if I am taking the right decision. If I am , then can I avoid installing windows and just clone the old windows to the new hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abbeyslinger

abbeyslinger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:04 AM

The ticking sound is the clear indication that header is struggling to move. As the system is still booting i suggest to copy all your important data elsewhere and replace hard drive later 

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:32 AM

Lost in the miasma of computer technical facts is that hard disk drives are about 40 times more fragile than a raw egg when they are spinning and the ticking sound is not because the drive has positioning problems; but, rather that it is experiencing read errors because of the drop.  Clone it ASAP and pray a little while that finishes.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:11 AM

The hard drive was working fine before this happens. I have not done HD cloning before, can someone provide a way to do that.

Will cloning the hard drive avoid installing windows on the new hard drive.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,617 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

There a number of free options available including the following. If all you have is the laptop then you will need a USB adapter to attach the drive you will be cloning to.

If you have a desktop with multiple drive bays you could remove the drive from the laptop and clone between the two drive attached internally.

https://www.backup-utility.com/help/disk-clone.html

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Cloning+a+disk

Yes, if the clone is successful you will be able to boot Windows and it will be activated.

If this is Windows 10 you can also do a clean install on the new drive and reinstall your programs. Windows 10 will automatically update if you upgraded from a previous OS or the computer was pre-installed with Windows 10.

#6 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

installed windows 10 and it was activated, thought i will will loss the authentication of win10.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,617 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

installed windows 10 and it was activated, thought i will will loss the authentication of win10.

Microsoft links your Hardware ID to a digital license store on Microsoft servers. If the computer was pre-installed with Windows 10 then the key is embedded in firmware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users