Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Failure Over and Over Again

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 arez123

arez123

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

My computer keeps trying to update and everytime it goes to 100% than it goes black screen and stays like that then i have to force shutdown and it restores my previous version of windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:26 AM

What version and build of Windows do you have ?

(Just type winver into search and press enter.)

In settings ..windows updates.. there is a Troubleshoot listed on the left side of the page. There is a Win Updates troubleshooter in case you  want to give it a try.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

Also, search this very forum regarding Windows Updates and problems or issues.   It is highly likely that the issue you're having has likely been discussed before, as virtually any scenario I can think of has.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 arez123

arez123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:14 AM

What version and build of Windows do you have ?

(Just type winver into search and press enter.)

In settings ..windows updates.. there is a Troubleshoot listed on the left side of the page. There is a Win Updates troubleshooter in case you  want to give it a try.

So it says version 1607 (OS build 14393-2155)

#5 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

You are a few versions behind on your Windows 10

Latest version is 1709 Fall Creators Edition and version 1803 Spring Creators Update just released as far as I know.

You can download the media creation tool to create your own install media from Microsoft so you can update your version from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

Version 1607 is just about to be dropped from support. I have repeatedly posted the link to step by step instructions for updating using the latest ISO file. Use that method.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 arez123

arez123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

Ok well i tryed upgrading my version and it just black screened again i ran the problem solving thing it said it fixed the problem nuy obviously ir didnt this is getting really annoying i have to do this everyday

#8 arez123

arez123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

Great now its stuck on a boot loop

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Force power off you computer do this at least five time until Startup Repair tool starts or you Windows revert back to previous version of Windows.

Edited by FreeBooter, 07 April 2018 - 09:55 AM.

Posted Image

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:26 PM

As was mentioned above. Please try the following and if you can boot to command prompt then we can try some possible repairs.

Force Safe Mode with Power On/Off

1) Press the Power On/Off button to Start and Shut Down the computer 2-3 times to stat the Windows Recovery Environment.
2) Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart from the Choose an Option screen.
3) After your PC restarts, select one of the following Safe Mode options you are instructed to from the Start Up Settings menu:

• Safe Mode (4)
  • Safe Mode with Networking (5)
  • Command Prompt (6)

4) Wait for Safe Mode to load
5) Logon with an Administrator account if needed

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users