Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Not Updating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

I've just come to the realization that my Gateway laptop with Windows 8.1 hasn't ever updated. When I review my update history, all updates indicate "failed".

When I launch Windows Update, it finds 7 updates, 4 for Windows and 3 for Office. When I click Install Updates, the download gets stuck at 28% on all attempts. I left my computer in this state for a good 24 hours before realizing something was amuck.

I've run Windows Update Troubleshooter several times, each time something was reported fixed. Yet it makes no difference.

I tried this suggestion which did not solve the problem:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-10-update-stuck-downloading-updates-or-frozen-solved/
Now, it gets stuck at 0% ... no download connection at all.

Is anyone able to suggest what the issue may be and help me install updates reliably?

Edited by CorruptCoW, 05 April 2018 - 06:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:37 AM

Perhaps give Dism a try.

Open command prompt as admin (selecting as admin is important) Also be connected to the internet when you run Dism.

Copy and paste this

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

May take a little while and to begin with may look as though it is doing nothing..

Restart machine afterwards.

#3 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

Hi Opera ... thank you for your reply.

I executed the command line, it took about 30 minutes, and restarted the computer.

Windows Update found the 7 outstanding downloads and I proceeded to install them.

It took awhile ... it was stuck at 0% for close to an hours before things started to happen.

3 Updates took, 4 failed (Code 80071A30 Windows Update ran into a problem

Edited by CorruptCoW, 06 April 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:29 AM

Have you done a reboot of your machine since installing those updates?

Perhaps do a system file check. Run command prompt as admin .....sfc /scannow

What security software are you running on the machine? If it's a third party av it might be interfering, it shouldn't ... but things happen :) 

As a test have you tried going to the Updates Catalogue, entering a kb number of one that has failed, downloading it to your machine (checking you have the right bitness) and then installing it manually from your downloads folder. 

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users