Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frustrated! Trying to upgrade Graphics Card and nothing's working.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AntiphosNox

AntiphosNox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

K, so these are the specs of the computer I'm trying to give a new graphics card:

Description:
Model: HP p6243w Desktop Computer
Hard Drive:
320 GB, Windows 10
RAM:
 3 GB
Processor:
AMD Sempron LE 1200
Processor Speed: 2.10
GHz
Functional or for Parts:
Functional -- Computer powered on and entered BIOS. 320GB wiped HDD and 3GB RAM are included.

I have removed the old graphics card and put in this:

XFX R7 240 2GB AMD RADEON

So that was done. I did notice that the fan of the new graphics drive does not move, no matter what I do.

I figured there must be something else to plug in, but cannot figure out what goes where. The little cord on the graphics card that leads to the fan is too small to plug in anyplace - does that need an adapter to plug into the older, larger slot where the old fan for the old graphics card used to go?

Anyway, since I pulled the old graphics card and put in the new one, the monitor does not 'see' the computer anymore. At all. I even plugged back in the old one and while the fan on that one moves now, the monitor still doesn't recognize the computer.

I tried everything I could think of (which admittedly isn't much) and before I take this down to the computer store and have someone figure out what I did wrong, I figured I'd beg for help online first.

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:06 PM

Running Win 10 wit 3 gigs is a hurdle all by its self, another thing you may not have enough power supply for the job. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

two suggestions......

1 - you may not have sufficient power (or no power connections at all) hooked up/plugged in from your PSU to your GPU card

2 - you may have a jumper on the GPU card installed in the incorrect position

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

Video card is PCI Express 3.0 and your motherboard does not support UEFI. Simple as that.

#5 AntiphosNox

AntiphosNox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

So IF I were to buy a motherboard, what should I be looking for? I'm looking around and a lot of them don't show the UEFI thing on them. I also read somewhere that the CPU has to be willing to work with the motherboard, so I probably need to replace that, too.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Buy totally new system if you replace motherboard. That computer is very old.

Another option is to get used PCI Express 2.0 (not 3.0) graphic card.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 07 April 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

So IF I were to buy a motherboard, what should I be looking for? I'm looking around and a lot of them don't show the UEFI thing on them. I also read somewhere that the CPU has to be willing to work with the motherboard, so I probably need to replace that, too.

AMD and Intel offer lower end systems

If you set yourself up with a budget you can then know what you can get, remember if your going to do gaming or video edit stuff you'll need some cpu & gpu power.

You'll need:

a new case

brand name power supply

DDR4 memory, plan on 8 gb as a minimum

cpu

main board

I highly recommend getting a Solid State Drive with a hi capacity platter drive

You can find what you like here to get you started

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:32 PM

If this is your computer and you haven't upgraded your oem power supply than your oem power supply is only 250 watts.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01852859

If this is your graphics card it clearly states a minimum 400 watt power supply is needed and recommend 450 watt power supply.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150677

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-Profile-PCI-Express-R7-240A-CLF2/dp/B00FQIXQGG

These links are based from your information posted in post #1.

Sounds as though it may be time to upgrade to a more powerful computer.

Edited by The-Toolman, 07 April 2018 - 05:34 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:16 AM

If this is your computer and you haven't upgraded your oem power supply than your oem power supply is only 250 watts.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01852859

If this is your graphics card it clearly states a minimum 400 watt power supply is needed and recommend 450 watt power supply.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150677

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-Profile-PCI-Express-R7-240A-CLF2/dp/B00FQIXQGG

As always, card manufacturer's PSU requirements can simply be ignored.

R7 240 consumes at most 30 watts so 250W PSU is just fine. Even 120W PSU would run that system.

#10 Keraie

Keraie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:47 PM

Are you sure that the fan is not default set to where it will only spin when it reaches a certain temp? My nvidia use to be set like that.

Edited by Keraie, 30 April 2018 - 10:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users