Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 experts help me out - What is causing this noise?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

So i start up my windows 10 desktop pc. Play around for like an hour i think and suddenly this strange sound appears once. It has never appeared twice but only comes once.
As far as i know ive checked all running applications which is Windows Defender security Center, Steam and nothing more.

Was playing a game wheen the sound appeared on this recording i made with Audacity.
Ive thought about security scan complete sound/alert, windows update sound, steam update sound. But have not found one single clip on youtube sounding like this from these applications. So im now asking you guys.

https://clyp.it/g5gfczom

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2018 - 02:28 PM.
Moved from W10 Discussion to W10 Spt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

Sounds like some of the game sound effects to me. If I understand you correctly, this only happened once, so I would not worry about it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:04 PM

Sounds like some of the game sound effects to me. If I understand you correctly, this only happened once, so I would not worry about it.

I just played a game to not just sit and wait for the sound to appear ^^  the game has nothing to do with this sound trust me. Ive heard it when only desktop was shown and pc was pretty much idle.

Never found out where it came from so today when i got home from work i decided to try record the sound with audacity just to have some lead to what it can be. Anyone know?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

I don't know if this helps but it definitely sounds like 'signal'. It doesn't sound like any of the normal forms of 'noise'. These are typically generated by mains electricity hum, 50 or 60Hz and its harmonics (depending on the frequency of your local power system) or 'white' or 'pink' noise which sounds like a 'shushing' noise. Without digging out a signal generator I cannot describe this sort of noise better !  Other common forms of 'noise' are switching crashes which you typically hear as a 'click' caused by some near by electrical equipment switching on or off.

It could be radio interference from a near by radio station. AM stations are very good at this, FM ones much less so. It takes very little to decode an AM signal - a piece of wire close to some fraction of the wave length and a bad connection can do the job !  There was a topic on BC about the turn of the year by a member who was from time to time getting bits of a local religious radio station's transmissions coming over his computer speakers.

If it only happens once in a while I would go with Ranchhand on this - don't worry about it. The cause is almost certainly external to your computer and if it is only an occasional event I wouldn't worry about it.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 April 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#5 Cyberluddite

Cyberluddite

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:51 AM

I clicked on the link and got a 404.  Is the strange sound a "pop", almost like a very quiet fuse blowout?  I usually get those from visiting sites like Steam, Yahoo!, (or certain adult sites).

From what I've learned (thank you, BC!), it's usually an adware PUP (they show up on Adwcleaner as "PUP.Optional.Legacy", but your results may differ.)  If you're going to be using online game sites like Steam or Tor, it's essential to learn enough malware removal to develop a basic "chicken soup" recipe of programs.  Also, websites like BC are great for when you get hit with something new.  Chances are, if you're seeing it, someone else has too.

May your scores always be high.

#6 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

Yup, the link  is no good.  I can't here what the sound is, but it could be a wire coming in contact with the fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users