Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4th build no power

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tictx

tictx

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

I have rechecked all connections many times. Also shorted pins 15 and 16 to verify power was good from the supply. PLED plug was not labeled but I assume the wires are on the left side of the plug should be red as are all the others in that series..Do not have video card installed. Also bot a new power supply but made no difference.

I have re-checked all conditions ad nauseam. PLED not labeled but I assume  the red leads should be on the left side of the plug similar to the other wires  RE HDD etc.Video card not installed. Also shorted pins 15-16 to verify power coming from supply.

conditions  mean connections

Mod Edit: Merged posts/topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2018 - 12:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

Off the top, two suggestions:

First, make sure the power cable from the power supply is plugged in to the wall socket (obviously). Then trace the PWR cable running from the front panel power switch to the mainboard, Unplug that cable at the mainboard. Short those two contacts with a screwdriver and the computer should power up and you get the POST screen on the monitor. If you short those leads and nothing happens, the problem is:

1) dead power supply...also, make sure the on/off switch on the back of the power supply (if it has one) is turned on.
2) power supply main power cable is not plugged into the mainboard

3) possible short on the bottom of the mainboard touching case metal

4) bad mainboard

The ultimate test is a bench build, which is what I always do. Here is a link to the steps I take, if you are interested.

Wish you the best, I know it's a bummer when your newbuild has problems. Let us know how it goes!

Edited by ranchhand_, 05 April 2018 - 01:23 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 tictx

tictx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

I have checked connections ad nauseum. also shorted  15-16 on connector to board to verify power. Video card not installed.Power from front panel not labeled but red wires on left ie HDD plug in etc.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

If you have swapped/tested the power supply and know positively that it is good, try the bench build. That will nail it for sure. Beginning to sound like a bad mainboard, but the bench build will tell.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users