Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Windows Is Not Loading!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 utfreak

utfreak

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:25 AM

So I was on my pc playing WoW today and everything froze. I waited a while and finally decided to restart it. (Via power button) Now, whenever I boot up it asks whether I want to start normally, last known good config, safe mode and etc. I've tried each one but the same thing still happens. The windows loading screen comes up, and the progress bar goes about halfway and then it auto-restarts itself. I have a feeling that my hard drive is dead. But I'd like to go to you guys.

I have SATA HD's and when they prompt me to push f6 to install them so it can recognize my HD's I do so. Instal and everything. But, when I go to repair i got a BSOD with the Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal error. At the information part of the BSOD my viamraid.sys driver is shown. Could it be that this sata driver is corrupt?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:10 AM

Most often this error is caused by a faulty driver. Since the VIA driver was mentioned in the BSOD, it's the logical place to start.

Be advised that this error can also be caused by bad RAM or a damaged pagefile.

Here's an article about this error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0xd1

First, I'd suggest that you download the latest version of the VIA drivers for your system and install them.

If you suspect your pagefile - go to Start....Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" and press Enter. Then click on
-Advanced tab, then on
-Performance Settings button
-Advanced tab
-Virtual Memory Change button
-Then check on "No paging file" Make a note of the previous settings so that you can restore them later.
-Click OK to exit all the dialogs
-Reboot your system.

Then do it all over again and reset your pagefile to the original settings, click OK to exit all the dialogs and then reboot your system. This will recreate your pagefil.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:04 AM

Follow usasmas advice but when it comes to reestablishing the page file set it to one and a half times the amount of ram you have installed in your computer on both lower and upper limits once you successfully boot the system.

Additionally, Sata drives are notorious for having the cables come loose. Open the case, (Ground yourself by touching the case frame with the power cord plugged in so there is a ground but with the computer off), and make sure the Sata drive is plugged in and the cable from it plugged into the motherboard firmly.

Try setting the mb for fail safe defaults.

Make sure the ram is compatable with the mb. without overclocking or underclocking.

Are you using a raid array? If so, you may have to rebuild it.

Reboot the computer and see if it boots.

#4 utfreak

utfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:27 AM

Unfortunately, I can't even get into safe mode. So doing the pagefile thing is out of reach. I'll check all my connections as well.

#5 utfreak

utfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

Well, I checked to see if it was the SATA HD's. Nothing changed.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

If the Windows screen comes up that means that your HD is being accessed.

Do you have the Windows Installation cd and the drivers for the motherboard so you can reinstall the sata driver?

#7 utfreak

utfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

Yes I do. But the via driver is causing the IGRL Less or Equal error.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

The driver may have become corrupted.

Do you know exactly when this problem began?

If you do, and it was less than three weeks ago you may be able to correct the problem using Windows SYstem Restore.

Your system should be able to start in safe mode.

1.Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

Pick a date that is in bold type from before the problem began.

#9 utfreak

utfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:01 PM

Well, looks like I can't even boot into Safe mode. It starts loading and then restarts.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Boot into the Recovery Console from the Windows CD

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP Home
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307654

#11 utfreak

utfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:59 AM

Unforunately I can't get to the setup screen because Windows doesn't "find my HD's" It's because I can't get it past the blue screen because of the SATA driver. My rommate says he heard it clicking before I came back and logged onto WoW. :thumbsup:. Could it be possible that the drive is dying?

#12 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:53 AM

I'm having exactly the same problem with my computer except the progress bar just keeps going on and on and on. I tried safe mode and got a list of ten billion (just kidding) blah, blah....drivers listed. I didn't know what to do when I got that. My computer is less than a year old and used very seldom. Should I try the "press F8 during the initial startup"?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:51 AM

How did he get it to log into "WOW" which means the boot process completed!

When you got to the Sata screen what did you use to load the Sata drivers - the motherboard cd?

txishome - yes, then choose last known good configuration.

#14 utfreak

utfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

I meant when I logged onto WoW before it died. Hahah. I'm loading it with the motherboard floppy.

#15 utfreak

utfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:45 PM

Anyone else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users