Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using downgrade option from Window 10 to Windows 7 - likely driver etc. issues?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alisp

alisp

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

Just briefly, while I'm on a computer where I can log into this account for a few minutes for the first time in ages:

I'm having to acquire a laptop running Windows 7 Professional in one form or another - whether a refurb, old stock or a newer machine running Windows 10 with downgrade rights to Win 7 (legacy software/hardware incompatibility with W10 - don't ask :( ).  However, I gather that it's not so easy as it may sound simply to downgrade a new computer, because of the differences in software and hardware between Win 7 and Win 10 machines, and that there could be problems, particularly with drivers, so I'd like to get a feel for what I'm letting myself in for!  I'm sure there must be some useful articles out there on the subject, but obviously I'm using the wrong search terms in Google because I haven't found them yet.  If anybody has any appropriate URLs I'd be glad to know about them - obviously there's no point in wasting time reinventing the wheel :)

Obviously, I'm limited as to the laptops I could buy - I've had a look at Dell, Toshiba, Acer, Asus and Lenovo's business offerings (it is for business use), but I wondered whether there were any general problems I might be likely to encounter.  What I'd be using it for would be largely:

- (quite heavy-duty) web browsing, so multiple windows open at a time

- multiple MS Office applications

- using a DVD rewriter/reader - either external or preferably internal

- printing via HP DeskJet/laser printer

- significant use of USB ports for Wi-Fi/broadband/backups to external HD/USB stick/transferring photos/backing up phone

- major use of Adobe Reader or similar

- usual basic computer housekeeping, so things like uninstallers and various antimalware products

- ABBYY Finereader

- Windows Media Player or whatever it is that's installed on Win7

I don't think I shall be using the Ethernet socket much :)

Does this give any idea of problems I might find with drivers and so on?  If you need further information, please say.

As ever, thanks very much for any help.

Edited by alisp, 05 April 2018 - 07:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

Most all vendors will sell you original software quite cheap, it will make it like it just came from the factory. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users