Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC has begun crashing since i installed a new graphics card

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Corndoggin

Corndoggin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

Hi I very new to PC games and computer hardware in general. I recently bought a PC that came prebuilt and installed a gtx 970 in place of the original 1050 that was installed. Since then I've been having random crashes that restart my computer whenever I'm gaming. I've been trying to diagnose the issue. Figured it was a power issue so i upgraded the PSU to 700w from 500w but the crashing still persist. I just need help diagnosing the issue because I barely know what I'm doing.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz 43 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
LENOVO MAHOBAY (SOCKET 0) 37 °C
Graphics
Haier TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI) 32 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST3500413AS (SATA) 30 °C
PSU
thermaltake smart 700w 80+

Edited by Corndoggin, 05 April 2018 - 08:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:43 AM

Please forgive a silly question, but after installing the new card did you install the correct driver? You can check here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers

#3 Corndoggin

Corndoggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

Please forgive a silly question, but after installing the new card did you install the correct driver? You can check here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers

lol fair question. i used nividias Geforce experience to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. 

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Edited by Allan, 05 April 2018 - 07:53 AM.

#5 Corndoggin

Corndoggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:59 AM

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your ne

so, funny thing I've noticed. i dont get a blue screen and it never creates a dump file. installed and opened the program still, but its all blank.

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:27 AM

Hmm curious why you would downgrade the video card from a 1080 to a 970? Was the 1080 giving you trouble? If not the first thing I would try is putting the 1080 back in to see if you still have issues.

#7 Corndoggin

Corndoggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

Hmm curious why you would downgrade the video card from a 1080 to a 970? Was the 1080 giving you trouble? If not the first thing I would try is putting the 1080 back in to see if you still have issues.

sorry 1050 lol ill edit that

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:36 AM

so, funny thing I've noticed. i dont get a blue screen and it never creates a dump file. installed and opened the program still, but its all blank.

Okay. The reboot is often caused by a blue screen error. You can go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings and DISABLE: "Automatically Restart". That way, if it IS a blue screen error that for some reason is not creating a dump file, your system will stop at the bsod rather than reboot.

My primary expertise lies in the software / OS arenas. While I have reasonable expertise with hardware, I'm not technical enough in that area to delve deeper if there is no further info available on the crashes. But sit tight, there are lots of folks more knowledgeable than I who will jump in (I'll monitor the thread to make sure ;) ).

Edited by Allan, 05 April 2018 - 08:39 AM.

#9 Corndoggin

Corndoggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Okay. The reboot is often caused by a blue screen error. You can go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings and DISABLE: "Automatically Restart". That way, if it IS a blue screen error that for some reason is not creating a dump file, your system will stop at the bsod rather than reboot.

My primary expertise lies in the software / OS arenas. While I have reasonable expertise with hardware, I'm not technical enough in that area to delve deeper if there is no further info available on the crashes. But sit tight, there are lots of folks more knowledgeable than I who will jump in (I'll monitor the thread to make sure ;) ).

Should have mentioned i have done this already. now it just freezes entirely and i even let it sit for a little while seeing if it will blue screen but nothing, just sat frozen until i hard reset. any other suggestions? 

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:45 AM

Sure - replace the card (I don't mean that sarcastically - if that's the cause of the problem, get rid of it).

#11 Corndoggin

Corndoggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

Sure - replace the card (I don't mean that sarcastically - if that's the cause of the problem, get rid of it).

ill try that, but right now i cant even get it to crash. it usually goes after awhile in pubg its happened in escape from tarkov too but ive been messing around in both without crashes now for about an hour.

#12 Corndoggin

Corndoggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

So yea nothing changed since yesterday that I know of. but it works flawlessly now, so thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users