Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 not booting after resetting to factory settings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 luie620

luie620

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:12 PM

Hi everybody!

My wife's laptop was in dire need of a fresh reset, so she backed up her files, went into recovery options, and reset the PC back to it's original settings. Now that it's finally done, the PC loads to a BSOD stating the computer needs to be repaired.

"The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File: \WINDOWS\System32\drivers\pci.sys

Error code: 0xc0000221

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

So naturally, there was never a Windows recovery disc created.

I did a little searching and downloaded Microsoft's Media Creation Tool with a Windows 10 install/repair file. I booted from USB and got it to load, but neither option to install or repair worked.

I have tried the "refresh your PC" option, as well as "reset your PC" again, and get a message "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

I also tried using the Windows Startup Repair option and get a message stating "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC."

Part of me wanted to run the TOSHIBA Maintenance Utility, but that only gives the option of deleting all data and partitions from the hard disc. I don't care about the data, as it was already backed up, but I' afraid of not being able to do a fresh install of Windows without a recovery disc or installation disc. The PC originally came with Windows 8 I believe, and was upgraded to Windows 10.

The PC is a Toshiba Satellite Radius Laptop (model #P55W-B5112). It was running a x64 version of Windows 10 and it came with Windows 8 pre-installed from the factory. If any other information is needed, please let me know.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Luis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

Turn on your computer, when Windows starts to load click the power button to shut it off. Do this twice and it should boot into the advanced options menu. From there from there you should get an option to perform a System Restore to an earlier Restore Point. If that doesn't work you can try a system repair. If that also fails please follow the guidelines for posting here that are included in the stickies. This is the link. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

#3 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:09 PM

Turn on your computer, when Windows starts to load click the power button to shut it off. Do this twice and it should boot into the advanced options menu. From there from there you should get an option to perform a System Restore to an earlier Restore Point. If that doesn't work you can try a system repair. If that also fails please follow the guidelines for posting here that are included in the stickies. This is the link. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

I forgot to mention System Restore does not work because there are no restore points saved. Perhaps they were deleted when restoring to factory?

System Repair also doesn't work.

I read the sticky you linked to already, but there isn't anything I could run without being able to get into Windows, right? At least that's what I thought.

#4 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

Ok so I think I'm getting somewhere useful!

I'm finally able to boot into a command prompt screen as no other boot options work.

I copied the pci.sys file from another Windows 10 computer for the heck of it, but that didn't work. But at least I know I'm able to copy files from a USB drive to a local disk!

So I did some digging around to see what drives/partitions are present and accessible and found the following:

• C:\ - contains standard C drive windows files, created or modified on 4/2/2018 (original restore date)
  • D:\ - named "System" and contains Bin, boot, & recovery folders all created or modified on 4/2/2018 as well as a few other directories dated 2014-2015
  • E:\ - this drive has no label and no folders or files, dated 1/20/2015
  • F:\ - another no label drive, contains an empty  Recovery.txt file dated 4/6/2018
  • G:\ - named "Recovery" but empty, dated 9/22/2015
  • H:\ - another "System" drive with the same folders, files, and dates as the D:\ drive
  • I:\ - this is the USB drive I was using to copy files
  • X:\ - looks like the C:\ drive, but dated 2013-2015, possibly the original hard drive Windows 8 files before the Windows 10 upgrade?

I then tried copying and running the Sysnative App, but I get a message "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present." I'm assuming I could run some of the diagnostic tools mentioned in the sticky, but I don't know which ones will, or how to open them through the command prompt. Any input as to which ones I could run?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

Save yourself a lot of headaches and do a clean install using the below guide. I believe your computer is UEFI so in the diskpart commands use convert gpt but you need to confirm if the computer is UEFI or not. Because the computer was pre-installed with Windows 8 you definitely have a GPT disk.

I would also zero out the drive by substituting clean all for clean. This will take sometime on a large HDD and I don't recommend doing it on a SSD. It is finished when you see the diskpart command prompt again.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Edit: Because Windows 10 was already activated then it will activate automatically once online. If this computer was upgraded to Windows 10 from a different OS then you should definitely do the clean install vs the reset.

Edit Edit: Your partition structure is a mess. Do a clean install. When you get to the Upgrade or Customize window select Custom then next. Windows will automatically partition and format your drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 April 2018 - 08:42 PM.

#6 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:45 PM

Thank you so much John! This was exactly what I needed. I finally got around to doing it and everything went smooth and is running as good as new.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

Your Welcome,

Glad you are now up and running. If you open Disk Management you will most likely see only 3 partitions now. The Windows RE partition, the EFI system partition, and your Windows partition. A definite improvement over what you had.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 April 2018 - 03:58 PM.

#8 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

Not sure what happened before, but glad its all cleaned up now. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users