Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Slow response to run anything

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mat58

mat58

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:46 PM

Hello,

I have a friend's PC that is an HP 18 All-in-One w/4GB RAM.  It is experiencing extremely slow response time when trying to run anything.   Response time even clicking on icons can take minutes.  When I turn on the PC it takes almost 5 minutes to boot up at times, and I have to continually hit enter to even get to the Logon.  Typing has a delayed response.  Even typing this message I've experienced waiting for the letters to appear on the screen.

Any help would be appreciated.  

I've done the following:

sfc /scannow 

dism restore health

Malwarebytes - no viruses

Here is the speccy Log:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6cTJu5b8YEnHhsaDkISVpog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:00 AM

Have you tried cleaning the cache and doing cleanup?  Here's a video to show you how to do it manually. I prefer this method over using programs like CCleaner. 

#3 mat58

mat58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I went through the video and did everything.  However, the PC seems slower now than before.  More than 5 second keyboard delay and it took at least 10 minutes to restart the computer, log in and get back to this website.   

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:18 AM

Does the same thing happen if you boot into Windows safe mode?

Does the same thing happen if you create a new user (as a test) and boot into it?

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Would you please download and run Speccy 

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

click "File" then "publish snapshot" and put the link it gives you here. so we can help you. 

Edited by Mason21, 06 April 2018 - 11:50 AM.

#6 mat58

mat58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

Here is the Speccy link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hkcNzWA1dl6jrTd7RpXBiZ8

Starting in Safe mode definitely ran quicker.  

Edited by mat58, 06 April 2018 - 06:46 PM.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:24 PM

Hi, well you have cleared the prefetch folder and windows will use resources repopulating it. With only 4 gb of ram it would benefit you to turn off superfetch (disable service in services.msc). If you do this I would also turn off indexing.

If you can, add an extra 4 gb of ram. Windows 64 will run on 4 however you are using the paging file and compressed memory is not kicking in, an extra 4 gb of ram will speed things up a bit, also will enact dual channel, so the cpu memory controller will be more efficient. 

The biggest improvement could be made with an ssd.

I would also disable the ITunes service "Bonjour" it is a resource hog and slows down internet.

You have a number of processes you do not need these will also effect performance. 

Run a clean boot, Dc3 has a good guide so I have copied it:-

How to perform a Clean Boot.

A Clean Boot is basically a process of elimination.  You isolate the Windows services and disable the third party services.  With the third party services disabled you restart the computer to see if the problem continues, if the problem doesn't continue you know that one of the third party services is causing this problem.  This is where the process of elimination comes into play.  You will add checks to half of the services, then restart the computer.  If the problem returns you will know that the problematic service is in the half of the services with the checks.  You can assume that the other half is not involved.  At this point you need to divide the half again, remove the checks from one half, restart the computer.  Continue with the process of elimination until you find the service causing this problem.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.

#8 mat58

mat58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

There were only 2 non-Microsoft services in the startup:  Bonjour and Malwarebytes.   Disabled both and it's running much better. 

PC is running WIndows Defender as it's Antivirus so for now I'm leaving both disabled.   Thank you for your assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users