Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wbhendrickson

wbhendrickson

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:39 AM

My Windows XP SP2 laptop has slowed down tremendously of late. It also has begun the nasty habit of periodically locking up with open programs "not responding." When going Ctl-Alt-Del to end task, I will often see 100% CPU on the Performance Tab, even with no open programs running (mostly in the dumprep.exe process). Obviously something is running in the background.

I will also get a "Server Busy" window fairly often, even with no programs open. It is sometimes present when everything locks up. The window states "The action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "Switch To" to activate the busy program and correct the problem."

When I move the mouse over "Switch To", I sometimes get an hourglass that makes clicking on it impossible. When I am able to click on "Switch To", it's the same as if I had clicked on "Start." The busy program is of course not specified and I have no idea what the Server Busy window is referring to. Sometimes after clicking on "Switch To", I will get a second box with "hpqSTE08.exe (not responding)" and I click on End Now - sometimes that helps, sometimes not. Other times after clicking on "Switch To" and getting the Start Menu, I can left click on a blank area of the desktop and clear the Server Busy box off the screen and everything appears to return to normal. Often the Server Busy box will reappear.

I have updated my Zone Alarm Security Suite and I have accomplished the following: Microsoft Update, Windows Defender Update, Cache Cleaner, Disc Cleanup, Defrag, Spybot S & D, Spywareblaster, Autoruns, and Lavasoft AdAware updates/scans.

I had a Hijack This log reviewed annd here is "Oldtimer"'s response:

I see no signs of viruses or malware in the log. It is clean.

The hpqSTE08.exe file is part of HP's digital imaging software. It is probably part of either a printer or digital camera package. It could be either the software package or the device is tying up the system. You can try uninstalling and reistalling the software to see if that resolves the problem. If not, then I would suggest posting a question in the XP forum. They can assist with non-malware related issues.

Uninstalling/reinstalling has not resolved the issue. Thus, this brings me here.

Any thoughts? Thank you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:17 AM

Question: Does your computer have these symptoms if the program in question is uninstalled? I know you uninstalled and reinstalled it, but it still could be the program causing the problem. I'd try using the computer with the program uninstalled to see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then we know for sure it's the program, and it will just be a matter of finding out what element is causing the problem.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:32 AM

Process File: dumprep or dumprep.exe
Process Name: Dump Reporting Tool

dumprep.exe forms a part of Microsoft Windows XP (and later versions), in-built fault logging software. Upon serious errors this program will write the details to a text file and request the information be sent to Microsoft. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for third party use.

Event Viewer BC Tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Search your hard drive for .dmp or .mdmp files.
Use this link to perform an analysis on them and post the results here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

You can also search for what the event ID number means here:
http://www.eventid.net/search.asp

Post the information in the dmp or mdmp log here and we will help you determine what is causing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users