Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question: can an email address give someone your IP address?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RichardCB

RichardCB

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

Hello,
I am guessing this question has been asked before, but I was having a discussion about this and we couldnt come to a conclusion.
If this has been already answered, I would appreciate a link to it.

Thanks!
RichardCB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:20 PM

Think about this.

You can use the same e-mail address no matter where you are in the world and no matter what network you're connected to while using it.  Does that suggest a one-to-one correspondence between the two?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:31 AM

Your IP address is public information. The header of your email will generally contain your IP address. Here's a detailed explanation: https://www.whatismyip.com/how-to-trace-an-e-mail-address/

Edited by Allan, 05 April 2018 - 06:32 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,800 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

Allan,

I love the information presented on that page, particularly:  "After viewing the trace information, the initiating IP can be looked up to determine from where the message was sent. IP address location information DOES NOT contain your street name, house number, or phone number. The trace will most likely determine the city and the ISP the sender used."

Even the city information associated with the ISP the sender used can be, and often is, wildly inaccurate.  Verizon is my ISP, and I'd love to know how they connect me to their DSL offices.  Most of the time I seem to appear to be somewhere down near the Roanoke, Radford, Blacksburg areas but there are occasions where I appear to be elsewhere [in other states on occasion] when I'm sitting in my living room.

That ISP address depends directly on what ISP you happen to be connected to at any given moment when an e-mail is created and sent by you.  It's not personally identifiable in any meaningful sense of the term.  It's an artifact of your internet connection.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:31 AM

Brian,

Agreed - as I have often found with ip-lookup. For my purposes (on other websites where I may want to check user authenticity, duplicate accounts, etc), the general geo area is generally enough. But to respond to the OP's question, the email header DOES generally contain the ip address and our ip addresses are not private or protected (nor should they be).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users