Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore,0x0070005 error, corrupt files scannow doesn't fix. Help.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soulweeper

soulweeper

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Tried to do a system restore today, for a specific reason. Could do it. Got error 0x0070005.

Did some Googling, tried running a DISM command, got error 87: An error occurred while processing the command.

Ran the sfc /scannow command.....Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them.

Ran scannow in safe mode....no luck that way either.

I don't know if the corrupt files are why I can't do a system restore, but I'm assuming it's why, but regardless, I can't do a system restore, and I do have corrupt files.

I couldn't do a system restore a while back, and I was going to look into it, or maybe do a repair install, or whatever, and just sort of forgot about it. The last few days, my computer has a couple instances of getting super slow, and almost freezing. Don't know if it's related, but bottom line is, I'd like my system restore to be back to normal, and fix whatever files are corrupt.

I've attached my sfcdetails.txt, if that helps at all. Weird.....the way I read that, it says it repaired 5 components, which I'm assuming are the corrupt files, but scannow still says there are files it can't repair. Maybe it's two different things, as this is getting out of my comfort zone, that's why I'm here. smile.gif

It tells me access denied to CBS file, for whatever reason.

Also attached the CheckSUR.log, in case that helps at all.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

Did you run sfc /scannow once, or more than once..... It sounds a if you ran it once. Sometimes it takes running several times to repair corrupt files. By any chance do you have a System Repair disk?

#3 soulweeper

soulweeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

Did you run sfc /scannow once, or more than once..... It sounds a if you ran it once. Sometimes it takes running several times to repair corrupt files. By any chance do you have a System Repair disk?

I have ran it several times, even once in safe mode. I don't have a repair disc, but I have the ISO from when I installed it. I read somewhere that I can boot it from that disc, select the repair option, and then run scannow from command prompt at that point, and it may fix it? Does that sound right?

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:57 PM

Error messages that end with 0005 are permission/rights/access denied kinds of things and with System Restore and Windows the cause is usually an overactive third party (not Microsoft Security Essentials) antivirus/antimalware application that is protecting your system from changes.  If you are not running MSE you may have to completely uninstall your AV using the instructions from the vendor to get System Restore to work.

The DISM instructions you followed with result 87 are probably a suggestion from somebody that doesn't know that command (as instructed) will not work on Windows 7 and it also means that whoever suggested it has never actually tried it on their own system or they would know it doesn't work.  It is a common suggestion that often means "I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it" with results like the error you report.

If SFCFix.exe can't fix the problem you then register a new account at Sysnative, follow the directions and they will send you back a ZIP file with the fixes for you to apply. 

Often you get the fix in one message cycle because they know what they are doing.  It might take a little more depending on what is wrong.

Be sure to read, understand and follow their directions exactly:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html

Following the directions will get you the fastest and best reply in the fewest message cycles.

For simple cases what usually happens is they will analyze the report (may ask for more details) and eventually send you some instructions and a ZIP file that has in it the files you need to correct the problem and you are done.

Sometimes the problems are more complicated but eventually they should help get things squared away.

Edited by joseibarra, 04 April 2018 - 05:59 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 soulweeper

soulweeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm using ESET NOD32 AV, and it seems in the past that system restore worked fine, but as newer versions come out, that's possibly where the conflict is. So you don't think the two are related at all? Just making sure. I shouldn't have to uninstall my AV to make system restore work, but I'll definitely try it.

I will join that forum, and follow the instructions you linked me to.

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2018 - 08:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users