Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Dell E6440 issue on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Androsszit

Androsszit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on Bleeping, though I've lurked here for many years!

The machine:

Dell Latitude E6440

8GB RAM

Kingston SSD drive

Windows 7 x64 SP1

So this is a strange issue I'm wondering if we can all solve together. I have several Dell Latitude E6440s that we use for offsite support. All of these devices run Windows 7 (x64) and have only the most basic of software such as built in OS tools, Chrome, and McAfee antivirus.  Anytime I launch an application (calculator to Chrome, doesn't matter), the machine takes forever to respond. The reason? It tries to seek something from the DVD drive and until the DVD drive makes a noise, the computer will not respond. This seems to happen even on a fresh install and only on this model Latitude E6440. I've uploaded a sound of the DVD drive "beeping" as it does before the machine becomes responsive again.  Can't seem to upload media files.

Things I've tried to fix it:

-Reinstalled OS without any other software (nope)

-Reinstall DVD reader drivers (nope)

-Disable DVD reader in device manager (nope)

-Disable DVD from bootup in bios (nope)

-Swapping DVD drives (nope)

-Removed DVD drive (this worked, but we need to have these installed)

Never come across this problem on any machine before and we definitely can't just remove the drives. Hoping someone out there has a fix! Thanks everyone!

Edited by Androsszit, 04 April 2018 - 01:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:46 AM

Just a little bit of reading here in case it helps

https://superuser.com/questions/370207/dvd-rom-keeps-spining-at-random-times-especially-when-starting-windows-explorer

#3 Androsszit

Androsszit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

That's good reading! I suspected the antivirus could be involved (it's part of our Windows 7 image so it comes with the "clean" install). Perhaps anytime something launches it is attempting to scan all media (including empty DVD drive) before allowing the program to start? I'll try disabling all scanning and see what happens. 

#4 Androsszit

Androsszit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

So it looks like the issue is being caused by McAfee's removable media encryption policy. Temporarily disabling it allowed the PC to function normally. Mark this as one more reason to avoid McAfee like the plague. Unfortunately our company requires it.  <_<​

Thanks for the help! Hopefully someone else having the same issue will see this and know how to make the madness stop! 

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:53 PM

Glad to hear all is well now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users